Etoh for edibles

So my friend has been making a 710 oil that was boiled in a cockpot then mixes it in her melted butter or oil for edibles… her crockpot seems to decrb for her. Then she mixes mct oils and stores it and it doesnt seem to affect her eddible taste…I wanted to help her out by etoh washing then into the freezer for the night… next day I ran it thru the funnel couple times then the rotovap… so the questions are… for gummies will she need to decarb first? Will anything like hard candys or brownies that cook above 250 decarb itself? Will it make the oil taste and smell like poop? Any advise on next step? This is for her personal use and she is a patient… also want sure really where to post this

1 Like

didn’t she have a working methodology?
how is your ethanol wash an improvement?
what is your goal?

Decarbing before gummies or hard candies is standard. with oil added late. I’d recommend the same for brownies, but have no data.

extracting with warm solvent, or heating your finished extract up above 200C enmass can make it taste bad. cooking it in food in small amounts should not.

4 Likes

Yes

Yes

Not if you don’t burn it.

2 Likes

I would agree with @cyclopath. If her method was getting her the results she was looking for then why mess with it? The only improvement I would suggest from her original method would be that preextracting the material in the crock pot is just an extra step when making cannabutter. I have had excellent results just steeping the ground flower in melted butter in the crock pot for several hours. The heat decarbs and the butter/oil extracts. Then just use a screen to filter out the spent biomass, cool, and use. I know people who skip the straining and just use the steeped mixture whole with great results, depending on how much cannabis flavor you find acceptable.

To answer your specific questions, yes, decarb before use in edibles. As far as heating the oil, 200c will burn the oil if done under atmosphere. If you are looking for a solid decarb go to 110c for about 30 minutes then 90c for another hour and a half. That should reliably get you a full decarb and will purge the oil of much of the lingering water and solvent without purging all the terps.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. .

2 Likes

If consistent dosing is a concern, you probably want to decarb before baking

3 Likes