Etoh DCVC + Winterization Single Step?

Hello!

I have a theory and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with it?
I can obviously just do these experiments myself, but thought I’d save myself some time, and $$.

I’ve been doing an ethanol/water DCVC dry load with fairly good success. I do freezer temperature ethanol and bud, quick wash, fairly efficient pull rate, with light chlorophyll and moderate wax presence.

I’ve been able to take a chlorophyll laden extract and get fine separation moving with a water to etoh gradient through alumina. I run the etoh gradient to about 85% ethanol. I’ve noticed I can skip the first water pulls, I even go up to about 50% etoh before I notice much movement in the column. I’m now thinking if I’m jsut worried about chlorophyll removal and I keep the first 80% of the pulls, it makes the most sense to just run the column from 70%-85% alcohol the entire time, maybe go slightly taller column to ensure resolution.

My question is twofold:

1. Is anyone experienced in dcvc with water? I’ve heard of a couple iso/water teks work to remove chlorophyll at just the high percentage alochol pull. Does the same apply for ethanol? Could i just run a 70% to 90% gradient? Am i missing a step or does this seem workable? I know @Beaker has done some alumina/isopropyl work, and this seems very similar in nature.

2. I was hoping that I might be able to skip another step with winterization and have the 70%-90% gradient ran under cryo-ish conditions. I’d use ethanol/water mix at -40-60c to keep it under freezing points (Ethanol Freeze Protected Water Solutions). Would the column likely hold up a good portion of the waxes? I was hoping they would simply slow down or get stuck in the alumina. Does this make any sense?

@Beaker I think this is maybe just another slightly more detailed iteration of our conversation last night :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t wanna keep abusing your kindness lol, but thanks if you have any ideas. Or if anyone else has tried the water/etoh dcvc feel free to chime in!

4 Likes

Sounds to me like you are getting it dialed in.:sunglasses:

1 Like

My thought was, that if I do the dry load onto a celite bed I wouldn’t be running into the issues of the extract getting frozen at low temps. Instead I’d just superchill the solvent, but also need a relatively small amount compared to doing a 10:1 ratio like with a traditional winterization process.

1 Like

I think so? Do you think it makes sense that the waxes would get stuck in the alumina in this case?

what were your findings? sorry to bring up old shit but I am really curious

I never went down to below -20c.

But everything seems to work great :man_shrugging:t2: DCVC is the bomb

1 Like

i had not seen anyone using etoh and water to make the gradient solvents and was wondering if the alumina grabbed the waxes mostly i seen people and beaker use alumina filter bed to remove waxes but that was using heat i do believe, was curious on performance of the cold solvent and alumina trapping waxes

I was using a low grade alumina. Might have better results with a better column.

I got up to about 75% thc off of some warm extracted stuff

2 Likes

i’m intrigued nice work i had not seen this before