Equipment Sourcing: You need it, I can find it

Niiice! Thank you! Has it been your experience most municipalities will want our tables to be SS? Any other surface materials you’d recommend or prefer?

Stainless is always a good option. No finish to wear off, easy to clean, impervious to gunk and solvents.

1 Like

@Mr-cloud
I have my second unit in a box in my living room. This is a solid slab and has handled all chemical spills from hexane to methanol and is TOUGH. I would only recommend something like this if it worked very well. It assembles easy with only the legs to bolt on. Height is perfect and they can take all you want to load and the legs adjust with height adjusters so no wobble and perfect level. Easy clean and they look awesome. Price is just right and hardware is not skimpy at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07775X3NL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

if you have a design we can custom build one for you

LMK if you still need them. I can get you a nice bulk deal on them

looking for an FID for SRI 8610C…

Chiming in on the freezer discussion. I will also vouch that -80c+ freezers are hard to come by used with longevity.

We have, and still do, buy and sell them and we get a lot of duds. I’ve seen entire labs used stock of 10 used freezers get bought and have at least 4 of them not work at all and a couple that don’t reach past -30C.

If you know the freezer game well they can work out but be weary of the sources and the best ones are only a few $1000 less than brand new sometimes

1 Like

I got a quote yesterday on this unti. 60 day warranty. I would rather be much more wealthy and buy new so please if you are wealthy and have an extra shoebox of $$$ you don’t need…

I had been setting aside for a ULT freezer but then ran into something .i had not thought about. A ULT freezer creates a hell of a vacuum when closed. My plans for a freezer are exclusively to chill solvents very cold. All ULT freezers warn againsts storing solvent and it makes sense. It the freezer starts pulling a vacuum because of cold then I can see a problem I don’t want. I have been looking at these because they are built for precisely what I want - to chill solvents to cryo temps.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this one. All new ones are about a thousand more from polyscience that go this cold and with a flex finger that I wanted but the polyscience ones are full on of full off. No dialing in temps.

Anyone have experience with a unit like this?

https://www.labx.com/item/julabo-ft-901-immersion-chiller/4205500

They work good for dewar style cold traps, what did you want to know?

I think that looks expensive but holy crap -90 is pretty amazing.

Do you need that cold? -30 is wayyyyyyy cheaper.

1 Like

I went ahead and got a cheaper one albeit not nearly the features but with luck it will arrive in good working order. It is a 30 day warranty so it is worth a shot.

Just think, if I place a hotdog in a methanol/ water bath at -70 for a bit, I can be the first one on the block to see a wiener shatter when thrown against the ground! Wiener bits! How cool is that? Plus in between crystalization experiements I can shove the probe into some sugared milk and have fresh ice cream in a few minutes. Need a fresh chuck roast chunked up for stew? No problem! Put it in some cryogenic ethanol and then whack it with a ball peen hammer. Shattered chuck. I am giddy with possibilities…

Plus if a burglar busts in I can point the -85C probe at him. His instinct will be to grab it to take it away… Then I can casually call the police while his hand becomes solid. There are just so many uses!

7 Likes

If you had a fever you could use it rectally to lower your core temp. …:rofl:
Congrats on the new equipment!:tada:

2 Likes

looking for a cheap, functional H2 generator in the Portland area.

tired of buying half broke stuff on ebay when I can buy half broke stuff right here!

I’m good at new stuff. Used is challenging. Have you checked out LabX.com. They’re pretty good

technically…
https://eugene.craigslist.org/pts/d/hho-generator-kit-make-offer/6624436902.html

Lol, thanks. That is inexpensive :joy:

I got lucky and found what was broken in mine. A $70 fix.

I’m looking for:

Solvent rated warming oven that can be kept between 60-90F for sauce. I currently use a vacuum oven with no vacuum, which seems like a waste.

Solvent rated fridge that can be kept between 50-65F for finished product storage. Currently just use an air conditioned room.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Hope this isn’t off-topic, but we’re looking for biomass storage bins, dollies for same. U-Line has items that are along these lines, but my university colleagues in Wisconsin inform me that company is run by extreme right-wingnuts (Scott Walker supporters, etc.). I’d rather not give those clowns a dime.

Anyone know of sources for this kind of gear that aren’t predisposed along the described lines?

1 Like

Local restaurant supply places are a good source.

I find that the Granger catalog is a great resource if you are shopping against U-Line. I find U-Line has better pricing but that could be because they are Capitalist bastards. :kissing_heart:

Are you going to make an appearance at NCIA in San Jose next week? I know that I can’t compete with your system from 1979, but I would like to get your input on our wiped film apparatus. It is just lovely!