Equipment Sourcing: You need it, I can find it

Hmmm…having only ever generated hydrogen for the sake of combining it with oxygen in a GRAUS manner, the concept that making hydrogen is safer that storing it in a tank is somewhat problematic for me.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that I would not have rated them in that order. Can you point me at an explanation of the relative safety perchance?

I will agree that the way the regulator on my tank was setup by the previous dispensary owner was absolutely “unsafe”. They had apparently taken it to the welding supply store, and some clown had tried blowing through the flow limiter provided by SRI. Then drilled the thing out to meet their concept of appropriate flow.

It could have been a much bigger issue if the roof in my garage wasn’t permeable…

2 Likes

“Peak Scientific takes lab safety very seriously. Peak’s Precision Hydrogen generators are the safest on-site hydrogen generators on the market and include various in-built safety features. Using a hydrogen generator eradicates the need to use H2 cylinders which contain large volumes of highly pressurised and flammable gas. With Peak’s Precision Hydrogen generators, gas is generated on-demand and the generator also contains an internal leak detection with automatic shutdown. These features ensure the volume of gas in the atmosphere does not reach the lower explosive limit (LEL), unlike H2 cylinders which have the potential to reach the LEL in atmosphere in seconds if a leak occurs.”
http://www.peakscientific.com/blog/h2-safety/

My concern is that this gas tank is in a room full of trimmers and processors. There will not always be a capable person in the room where the tank is stored so I’d rather avoid the potential for H2 gas buildup altogether.

1 Like

Hi,

new to the forum but doing a lab builout in the Portland, Or area. We are often looking for quick response suppliers of various equipment. I can’t figure out to direct message but we would love to have another option in the area.

thanks,

doc_simple

In my experience with N2 generators for MS, maintenance and repair made it more expensive than just using canisters, but I suspect someone was doing something wrong to cause the damage.

1 Like

dont fill the whole sonicator with solvent, fill a thin walled beaker with solvent and set that in the water.

Here is all my contact information:

Voice: 503.847.9047 ext 1
Text: 503.719.2172
email: cat@cascadesciences.com

We’ll take good care of you.

Thanks!

How do I get in touch with you ?

Cat@cascadesciences.com
503.847.9047 ext1

we have a few 2 inch units in stock. you need with jacket or band heater?

we have a ethanol recovery system, some 2 and 4 inch units and on chromatography what are you looking for?

There are a few items that buying used are off my list. Anything with a compressor like a freezer especially. There are very few freezers that do not degrade on an hour by hour basis from use over the years and the problem of course is you almost have to destroy the compressor in order to inspect it lolz.

There are multiple techniques to make a freezer get cold of course. Some use two compressors and cascade the systems. These are typically energy hungry because of enormous energy conversion losses utilizing two motors for the compressors. Some go as low as -120C but typically the ULT freezers are rated -86C. The best warranty I can find on any freezer with a compressor is two years. Most have one year and most are limited warranties.

The other way to go of course is with a ULT that does not utilize a compressor at all. Some designs utilize a Stirling engine and no compressor. These will get to -86C and have but just one or two moving parts. The site I found that sells these offers a seven year warranty on the engine. This type also has a huge advantage in extremely efficient operation meaning there is very little power loss owing to conversion of energy (electricity) into work (making it cold). They sip electricity.

As near as I can tell the price for this small one through dealers is listed at $8800 so they are spendy but I wanted to toss this out there. Almost all of the ULT freezers I have shopped for eat up power and need 220VAC to run.
http://www.stirlingultracold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/10461_GLOBAL_SU105UE_Brochure_Web.pdf

1 Like

How effective is a Stirling engine at moving heat compared with a traditional cascade heat pump?
What do you think is the difference in btu between them?

Looking for a cart to hold up an polyscience IP-100 cold finger.

What is their pricing like?

Where have you already looked?

not really sure where to look. I think im just going to go with an industrial rolling cart from ULINE

The Stirling unit I looked at was a carry around unit capable of -86C in about four hours. Small and can operate on any voltage including 12VDC and 50hz power in Europe. Can be transported easily and meant for very sensitive stuff like stem cell transport via airlines and such.

I believe The list price was something like $8500+ for less than a cubic foot.

Their larger models went WAY up but again they just sip power and the engine has a seven year warranty with a fifteen year expected life. Bean counters worth anything would normally depreciate the unit over that lifetime but also when cost analysis is done the initial price is very high but easily offset by operating expense and longevity. Very easy. Most compressor type units run upwards of 12-16 amps at 120VAC or require 230VAC but no less power draw to run every single day 24/7. That is like runnning your water heater full time and it gets spendy. The Stirling units I believe use up about as much power to maintain cooling as a 200 watt bulb if I understand the tech correctly. That is less than two amps at 120VAC.

Imagine running a hot water heater in your home 24/7 then imagine your electric bill. Compare that to three outdoor porch lights on all the time. Additionally the hot water heater in this scenario has a lifetime of five years as opposed to fifteen. For me there really is not much of a better option but there is a major drawback lolz - these are not rated explosion proof and specifically restrict use to no solvent storage. Dewaxing would violate this for me. I would do it anyway because I dewax in my own freezer which is also not explosion proof but the ULT freezers create a vacuum. I am not certain if this would put a thorn in my plans this way?

Looking for some adjustable height stainless steel work tables.

This place is my Go-To:

3 Likes