Ennie meeny miny moe: CO2 or BHO?

I believe pic solutions would sell you one, there was one in another lab in Colorado. I believe they returned it though. They key was the Lewa liquid pump, although it was too low in flow. (One flow formula for co2 is minimum 1kg/min flow per liter of vessel size) Those pump parameters work well to pull multiple fractions in a timely manner. The downside is that a liquid pump will need a diaphragm pump to return the vapor co2 through condensor and back to liquid pump supply. Or just run open like most co2 systems were designed for and eliminate worrying about supplying btu’s to condense which is the achilles heel of many systems. The sfc system is the one to covet or one scaled larger. I don’t believe evolab has an exclusivity on the sfc gear.

1 Like

Ennie meeny miny moe
CO2 or BHO?
the answer may be Ethanol
'cause CXE’s a rabbit hole :wink:

Supercritical fluid chromotography, check pic solution or simba. Moving bed is more efficient imho

Look for a co2 extractor that can co modify with ethanol like pic solution or waters, pull terpenes then juice some etoh through and pull 'nerds quick. The thought of co2 only cannabinoid fracs makes me shudder after how quick it can be done with a modifier vs an air boosted tractor

3 Likes

I think the general consensus is that everyone is leaving both for ethanol + distillation. It think this a result of alot of people having difficulty producing high quality products from co2 or bho without distillation. To me the advantage of either is, if done right you can produce “distillate quality” (> 85% ish THC, > 90% total cannabinoids, clear to translucent color) without distillation. IMO distillation is a crutch that allows poor extracts to become marketable. I can also understand that if you had to distill all of your CO2 extracts, why would one not move to ethanol + distillation. You already are taking the yield and time loss on the distillation step so why not get rid of the long duration and maintenance headache of CO2. I know there are people the really like distillate products, but to me I can always taste a distilled product, and they are “flat” compared to a really nice 85-88% THC, well dewaxed CO2 product. I also think the high from distilled product is different from undistilled product, and I suspect this is from thermal isomerization/deradation of a small percentage (maybe 5-10%) of the cannabinoids. This degradation/isomerization changes the overall cannabinoid profile and puts off notes into the high. I predict as labs get standards for these side products we are going to see lab reports for distillate change dramtically. But you can see the difference at home for yourself, compare 30-35 mg of crystal THCA high to 25 mg “distillate quality” CO2/BHO to 25 mg distillate and the difference becomes very apparent.

3 Likes

The “flat” flavor of distillate is most likeley due to the absence of terps. This also effects the high as there are multiple terps that are psychoactive on their own and others that seem to just effect the action of the cannabinoids in the body. This is commonly called the enterage effect I believe.

Your prediction of future lab analytics on distillate is interesting and I think you could be correct. There seems to be many unidentifiable isomers/products of degradation in some lower quality distillate.

I prefer bho as well due to flavor :wink: all about those high terp extracts yo!

1 Like

Update:

Process many tons a day?
With CO2?
Then Thar’s the way.

5 Likes

Bump.

Ethanol? CO2?
BHO? Is Squish for you?

Distillate?
Full Spectrum yo!
I really just don’t ___ing know.

4 Likes

Ive used an apex mid range series for a couple years. Its great to get terps out and 90% thc distillate everytime(with quality flower). Never tried the oil without distilling tho, i wonder how it would be… the apex had some problems, chiller broke after a year of use and compressor needed some maintenance occasuonally, and some leaks but nothing huge, also needed to be cleaned pretty often… support team is great tho very helpful. Looking to get a new co2 tho maybe eden labs or waters.

Which did you get?

:zipper_mouth_face:

currently working predominantly with ethanol…see Curians.com

2 Likes

That’s a nice site.

I am using c02 extraction and having a hard time learning what an acceptable yeild is! For example if we process 15 pounds after winterizing we only have a 4-5% yeild of finished oil! What are other people seeing? We are running 1750 pressure range. I also cant seem to extract terpenes without pulling fats running at 1100 pounds

follow the cannabinoids…

15lb of 10% THC trim => 1.5lb of 100% THC available. your extraction efficiency is based on how much of that you actually end up with when you’re done.

how much are you actually getting? (4-5% at what concentration?)
now where is the rest of it?

this means potency testing on input, output, and spent biomass. if you’re winterizing, I suggest you check your “fats” too.

3 Likes

Test your biomass pre and post extraction.

Some people have trouble with acidic cannabanoids as well in co2, especially if you don’t have a really high flowrate, small grind, or if your product chamber is channelling.

3 Likes

I work extensively with the Midas system from Vanguard Scientific Systems, and a quick review of our last 70 extraction runs shows an average post-winterization oil yield of 8.87%±1.22% (grams oil / grams plant material). There is quite a bit of variance from strain to strain (ranging from 6.5% to 12%), but if you are consistently getting only 4-5% there is definitely something wonky going on with your system and/or extraction parameters. For reference we generally perform our terpene pull at 1200psi/100F for about 12 min/lb of plant material and main cannabinoid extraction at 2400psi/120F for 1-1.5 hrs/lb. Terpenes almost always come out crystal clear, if you’re seeing cloudiness at 1100 psi, I’d expect one of three things is happening:

• There’s residual fats/waxes in your pipes from previous runs which is coming out in the terpene extraction.
  • Your extraction vessel temperature is temperature is set too high (120 F at 1100 psi and I’d expect some lipids to start showing up).
  • Your extraction vessel pressure is not actually at 1100 psi or is fluctuating above the 1250 psi threshold at which fats/waxes start showing up during the extraction cycle.
7 Likes

Ennie meeny miny moe
CO2 or BHO?

Have you considered H2O?

Yes.

Of the supercritical variety.

Honey get the f**king blast shields out

Maybe that’s what the horse are so concerned about?

Just keep in mind The Death of Horatio

1 Like

Maybe

NIK05oJ

Scary stuff, he was Canadian too.

I see mixed reports on what was and wasn’t considered safe though, it seems like neglect and unsafe practices lead to his early demise moreso than the experimentation factor itself.

1 Like