EHO Color Remediation

On here or on insta? I’ll do some searching.

@Kingofthekush420 does a 8:1 dilution rate the fats will just drop out at room temp because the polarity, you can bring down to -20 but I think someone said they didn’t see an improvement. BUT please read up on how to properly handle methanol! Don’t want to go blind!!!

3 Likes

Yeah, true. I have new safety goggles with out any breathing holes for that exact reason and have also been wary of using certain solvents.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m stoked to get my meth tek on :sweat_smile::love_you_gesture: lab society sells it at 45 for a 5 gallon FYI!

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

No problem! If I remember I’ll post my findings!

2 Likes

Says 90 where’s the 45?

1 Like

I go to -20 in a regular freezer, I get another 10% out. I get most out with a room temp filtration.

As long as you’re not drinking methanol you’re fine

First sign of methanol poisoning is a headache, if you dont have a headache you dont have methanol poisoning according to poison control.

Take a shot of ethanol after using methanol if you’re concerned, itll create an azeotrope and you’ll piss the methanol out.

Methanol is a cumulative toxin it builds up in your system

9 Likes

I would get the headaches just from having the fumes and getting it on my skin

I’ve never gotten a headache from the fumes, you must not have had proper ventilation

2 Likes

regardless eye protection is needed with methanol. The fumes will deteriorate your eyes even if you dont have the “poison” feeling or headache along with cleaning the lab coats/clothes frequently. your skin should be exposed as LITTLE as possible when using it/vapors around.

4 Likes

They actually stopped selling carbon chemistry after some solvent was “contaminated” not sure how true it is, but they go through some local suppler now and it’s only 45 a gallon call them! I just ordered 5 pails :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All solvent is “contaminated”

1 Like

Agreed! But thats what they said to me!

All you can do is pick your contaminants, and their amounts.

So ill add my experience to this in case it is of some help to others. I started with 1600g heads/tails distillate and 3100g of ethanol, then split it into 3 separate mixtures for filtering. All solutions were filtered with a 1um filter paper.

Solution A went over a cake of (bottom to top) 100g Celite, 75g Silica 60, 150g T5, 100g MagSil, 75g T41, 50g Carbon, 150g Alumina Oxide using a buchner funnel and 300torr vac.

Solution B went over a cake of (bottom to top) 100g Celite, 150g T5, 50g Carbon, 150g Alumina Oxide

Solution C had 5% Carbon and 5% T5 added to it and mixed to a slurry then filtered over a Celite 545 cake.

Our immediate visual results were lackluster. All three solutions came out at almost the exact same deep red color with zero change, but each cake clearly pulled various chromaphores. I’ve decided to run the exact same side-by-side test but using hexane as the mobile phase instead of ethanol.

One negative thing to notate is that Solution C with the carbon slurry dropped in pH from 7.4 to 5.5 and caused slight isomerization when distilled (to be expected). No pH change was observed from the media cakes.

I’m going to run a mass balance on the oil post distillation to see what kind of cannabinoid loss is present, aside from typical transfer loss.

5 Likes

Great work!!! Thank you

So I can use this in my dewax chamber for butane extraction or just ethonal?

Quick update. This has already been discussed, and I’m aware this isn’t the correct thread, but I wanted to post the update.

The Hexane solution produced a noticeably lighter colored oil, and the distillate went from red to a very nice pale yellow in small quantities and a bright yellow in bulk. We also observed a 36% loss in total mass, presumably 10% from transfer loss, but the majority of it was locked inside of our filter media. We recovered everything locked in the media and added to our bulk “reclaim” oil as we presume it has a heavy concentration of chromaphores.

Pre-remediation (post ETOH wash over the same media structure)

Photo of the cake in the Buchner

Post Remediated Oil

4 Likes

What is the tek for this?
I need to know =)

1 Like