Efficiency of a Wiped Film making distillate

Are you saying 3rd and 4th pass with crude oil or you rerunning the distillate that many times? Your parameters are the same or do you increase temp? @bdouggy I had higher THC pulls on darker color than clearer. This only applies for an amber color. If you have red color lines you’re not separating enough. I would decrease feed speed. Is your hopper heated?

1 Like

I never need more then 2 on a machine I’ve used before

Sometimes I need 3 on a new wiper I’ve never ran, but that’s only to get it dialed in.

@WolfeXtracts, my bad for not replying earlier.

The perfect residence time evaporates all of the cannabinoids in 1 pass without pulling tails.

(First pass is just a terpene / heads strip)

As the cannabinoids evaporate the crude temp rises and codistillation starts happening.

My warm extracted decarbed winterized heptane crude tests at about 70% with good starting material, we will use this as an example.

As the crude gets fed in it take a few seconds to get it up to its boiling point which means that’s distance traveled down the wiper. The temperature of the crude will not be able to exceed the boiling point of the cannabinoids since the crude is primarily cannabinoids, only once the cannabinoids are distilled will other things start co distilling (unless you’re running HOT and fast). This means you need your cannabinoids to all be distilled by the time the crude reaches the bottom of the wiper body.

If you’re not fully distilling all your cannabinoids in 1 pass try raising your feed tank temps ( unless you’re running B and W pumps), this will reduce the residence time wasted raising the crude to its boiling point.

You can raise the temperature on the body for better heat transfer, the problem with this is as you raise the temp more things co distill. In theory you can run faster the hotter you go if you can get all your cannabinoids distilled and not pull tails, it’s kinda hard to do it that way though.

The VTA ran the feed at 115c, I’d go even up to 125 c NP

Steel transfers heat 20x better than glass, this means you dont need as much residence time to hit the boiling point because more heat is transferred faster. This is why I love steel wipers! Also the cold traps work better for the same reason, better heat transfer!

The wiper basket should ALWAYS be run at full speed. The faster the basket spins the more distance the crude travels resulting in more heat transfer.

You can get more heat transfer in the same residence time with more rotations.

The amount of crude the wiper basket holds never changes with rpms, the distance the crude travels in the same amount of time inside the basket does though.

Long story short I love this shit lol can you tell?

12 Likes

ur a gangster. just learned some ish. when i went to the eco gen factory for training. he was running his in house fabbed 6" stainless wiper at 195c on the external with a 5 gallon buck of water and a submersible pump circulating room temp water on the internal…pumping in clean warm hydrocarbon crude thats been scrubbed and filtered at 200ml per min…ripping.

1 Like

Much appreciated! Pulled quite a bit from that! And yeah, we can tell. We all got da passion for da hashin!

1 Like

Running the distillate through 3-4 distillations. I’ve seen dramatic declines in cannabinoids after the third and fourth pass on a batch of distillate. I attribute it to the super long residency time. After four passes you’ve got 12-18 hours in a boiling flask under vacuum.

2 Likes

This is because co distillation starts to happen.

Once you’ve removed most the cannabinoids the tails will be able to reach a higher temp and evaporate.

If you have a glass wiper run it and then turn off the feed.

You’ll notice once the thc evaporates off the stuff left in the basket will look like it burned or something

This is the stuff that wont evaporate, you’ll also notice that the wax on the condenser will be darker too

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same trend with higher potency oils more of an amber than gold color. I thought the red color lines are from picking up too much tails? In which case wouldn’t I want to increase my feed speed(or lower still temp) in order to fraction less? Just want to check my understanding. I don’t often see the red striations in our process.

We keep the hopper at 110 and heat the feed line about 30C less than evaporation temps.

@Kingofthekush420 gave the best advice.raise your temperature of the hopper. Bring it as close as your jacket temperature as possible. Here is the kicker. Your temperature is being read from the bottom of the hopper not the top. Take a probe and dip it at the the top of the hopper if your temperature matches the bottom your good to go. Make sure you have no degassing bubbles before you start your feed. Whip up the crude oil viciously to make sure you have no trapped gas while it’s in the hopper at your desired temp.

1 Like

Love that analogy. I have a wfe I have yet to fire up, excited to test the limits of linearity.

Thanks for sharing! I have a few questions if you don’t mind. I’ll DM you…

1 Like