Edwards 28 oil plug thread thread stripped any suggestions?

Our edwards 28 oil plug stripped. But not the actual plug, but the thread that the plug screws into. So the metal thread that’s in the body of the pump is stripped. We took the case off to look at it. It appears to be cemented into place.

I was thinking of just replacing the oil housing part of the outer casing cause it would come with a fresh thread that I could then screw the plug into.

Or going to an auto parts store and getting an oil pan saver or posibly some sort of re threading tool.

Anyone had this happen to them? Thoughts suggestions ?

Thanks

1 Like

Compare the cost of replacing the oil housing vs. buying a thread thread repair kit (i’m guessing the latter would be cheaper).
once you’ve repaired the thread (or replaced the housing), install a ball valve with a hose barb on the drain. then you’ll never worry about this problem again, and get cleaner drains with a hose going straight to a waste container vs. a pan

5 Likes

Pics for those unable to use imagination?

1 Like

Sometimes you can chase the threads with the same size tap if it’s not too bad and it will still work

4 Likes

Sounds like a question for @Xtractek.

1 Like

Metric or standard? Probably metric. Plug diameter and thread pitch? Type of seal?
Sometimes you can drill out the threads and tap the bore for a larger bolt/plug.
If a new case is cost prohibitive bring it to a hydraulic shop, with some doughnuts and coffee. Ask for the oldest grump outta the back. That’s the guy.

7 Likes

Retap slightly larger and use a new appropriate size bolt and washer. I just went through this on a damaged E12 but it should be the same. I think I used this set and it did the job but if you have something nicer definitely use it:
https://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-nitride-coated-alloy-steel-metric-tap-die-set-45-pc-61410.html

Edit: +1 for what @Midnightoil said

4 Likes

Good suggestions. A machine shop could likely retap. I would suggest putting a drain valve setup in place of the plug so you don’t have that problem again.

9 Likes

This 100%, i have done it personally and it worked like it never happened

4 Likes

If it’s so fucked that chasing the threads won’t work, you’ll probably still have enough material on the oil housing to just bore a bigger hole in its place and run a tap through that new hole.

3 Likes