Education Options

Hi Gang,

I’d like to get everyone’s opinion on the classes they have attended. Hydrocarbon, Solventless, any other categories that might come up. We could have a Best Educator competition??

3 Likes

Education is definitely expanding and rapidly. I would be focused on your own equipment / goals and then pursue those that fit that expertise.

You can train someone to operate something and they end up with a completely different machine and have to start from ground zero. Basics may still apply but depending on the goal its very diverse.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Should do blind folded teaching at the spot, get you suited for a big machine.

1 Like

More education is more better. What class would you attend? Do you want more lecture and notes with theory and principles? Or more hands on training? In either case, it’s important that the information is applicable to whatever systems you’re running at home.

1 Like

I’m signing up for the next Dred Pirate class. I’ve spent too much time away from turning valves myself. I need a good refresher and some new teks to play with. I’d love to update my solventless knowledge as well so I’m looking at a few classes geared in that direction.

Are you on Instagram? Content with me and I’ll tag you on some posts. Pellet Polare is doing something this month in LA and it’s free! If you want to know about solventless, that’s your huckleberry.

3 Likes

Hey would like to reactivate this thread and understand more what the general consensus is towards seminars and the people that put them on.

Seems like many people are just trying to make a quick buck reselling info that’s available all over this forum/youtube/reddit, but unsure if I’m just being overly cynical.

Are these a good way for new hash makers to learn more? Would they be better off just spending that $ on extra material to experiment with and reading online?

2 Likes

There’s seminars by themselves, then there is coaching in addition to help reinforce certain concepts.

It’s tough to teach hashing without interactive feedback, the same as a musician.

Hash is a weird category that if someone didn’t whisper a couple things in your ear, you’d unlikely be able to figure it all out without burning through the cost of the consult or training.

I made this stuff and was proud until I got a lesson this summer by some KNF people.

Again, this is what I thought was good until I learned it wasn’t:

Now I use certain bags, buckets, temps, and procedures to save time, effort, and get really pretty results (not pictured). Costs me ~ $3-5k less since I don’t require a freeze dryer like I was originally taught.

All of this from like 3-4 sentences of corrective actions while I ran my hash with an instructor present.

3 Likes

Now that also depends on what your goal is. If you’re trying to keep terps or keep a light color it is something you actually need, otherwise if you air dry your hash you’re allowing many, many, many volatile terps to dissipate and a darker oxidized color. I’m not going to interject any sort of personal opinion into it but that’s the facts of not using a freeze dryer. If you’re just trying to get something that dabs just fine in your banger and gets you high then I agree it’s not needed

Without any FD

With a FD

But personally I think in this day and age there’s more people trying to sell the ‘secret sauce’ vs. showing that they actually know it and understand the framework of why/how it works and pass that conceptual-level knowledge onto you. It’s the same reason why when I teach anyone how to do anything I don’t recommend a press-button system while leaning. Essentially most people are Tom fucking Vu when it comes to teaching hash. They tell you over and over and over about how good their stuff is, how to do this and that but when it comes down to the proof it’s suddenly vapor. This is just a continuation of what’s been going on for years and years and years.

I mean this forum is a perfect example. You can see PLENTY of people claiming to know this and that about rosin and hash but haven’t seen hide nor hair of any sort of actual experience on their end. No jars, no squish pics, no actual words about their work outside of them pumping their own phantom skills up. Even going as far to take fucking selfies with the equipment they don’t even know how to use with very little other proof out there. I’m actually really glad you brought up this issue because it’s something that’s very VERY common out there with people who want to make good hash but get taken for a ride.

5 Likes

I’ll pm you. Too good not to share.

@SubstituteCreature sent.

Talk to me Goose. Is it a winner or what? @SubstituteCreature

1 Like

If you pay anyone money for a solventless ‘consult’ or seminar you’ve been taken for a ride.

I did buy some pretty amazing rosin advertised as air dry a few weeks ago. I still think it would come out better through a freeze drier, but it was a nice custard yellow colour and filled a room with terps. This is the hill to die on for some people, I guess.

DM’d you back, sorry about that brought the family out to the local splash pad for the lil one’s birthday party (part 2!)

3 Likes

Air dried and not oxidizing is an art many have a hard time replicating. It can be done, but unless you can ensure you’re removing moisture and not allowing it to stay stagnant will be key to doing it right. It takes up to 2 weeks in some cases, but that’s where a FD comes in handy cutting down your moisture removal process. It’s also where you reach your bottle neck in processing so multiple large FD’s are needed to be efficient. Run dual cold traps on each FD collect and maintain volatiles. Run in cold room, run insulated, maintain temps within vessel, keep thermal dynamic cold for EVERYTHANGGGGG.

You’re only gonna get better by running multiple times & using good inputs and caring for each aspect of the process.

you sure you don’t mean:

you’re only going to get better by destroying more product, and figuring out how you fucked it up, each and every time.

oh wait, that’s what I told the boss my job was…

1 Like

Literally exactly it. You take good material. Make bad product. You feel ashamed. You correct what you fucked up the next run and feel good about yourself. Maybe it doesn’t happen the next run…or the run after that. But you try, you evolve and you learn slowly.

2 Likes

we garbage folk enjoy making treasures out of the finer green things, but alas you have to start learning somewhere, & we all know it wasn’t with gold first