Does methanol extraction avoid waxes?

Did you extract with methanol to begin with in that post? Like from the plant material? Because if so, that could be the case.

1 Like

No, it was -18 ethanol, but thAt would likely still show some sugars. I’m guessing with winterization in ethanol it excludes the sugars a bit better. Whereas methanol pushes out waxes/fats better.

1 Like

I’ll try to find that pdf for u

Sorry can u link to that experiment?

Darn thought it would be a cheap alternative.

@tweedledew

3 Likes

As you can see I was mistaken, isopropyl and propyl alcohol both dissolve less sugar than either ethanol or methanol.

1 Like

Why isn’t iso used more in extraction? Couldn’t you use more to achieve the same yields? Cheapest I could find so far is 1600 for 200L of ethanol which isn’t that bad

People tend to just use ethanol because its drinkable people take that to mean it’s a safer solvent. At least that’s what it seems like.

We know if u extract cold enough you can make decent extract with any of the alcohols. If you did an initial extraction in isopropyl you would pick up no sugars but more fats, you can proceed to remove these fats by reducing the volume of the solution and then adding methanol to precipitate them. @Infoseeker

1 Like

I used to use iso. I think half of it is market demand for a “healthy” solvent, and half is the greater difficulty of avoiding wax pickup.

2 Likes

It seems like ethanol is exclusionary of fats, waxes, sugars and chlorophyll at low temps though. Seems like it might be superior if you don’t want to deal with remediation

2 Likes

I could agree with that

it may be wishful thinking but it would be nice to extract, filter and winterize in 1 solvent without the ultra low temps

2 Likes

Food grade etho 190= the best

2 Likes

Couldn’t you not extract room temperature in methanol. Then run it through crc column. Reduce some of it then finally do a hot winterization and filter. add any brine washes or degums to the mix if necessary?

1 Like

Yes you can definitely do that, but why?

1 Like

@square_root_pharms was speaking of 1 solvent for everything two post above. I figured do it as I stated before with methanol (why not)? I remember speaking to you at glg northern cali Meet up about reproofing ethonal and you to recommended I should look into methanol…

Every solvent has its place

Probably a low cost decent way to make distillate on small to medium scale.

2 Likes

Thanks

I’ve done 0c methanol extraction before.

You end up with a ton of browns and greens and more sugars. So either an LLE or a louche is in order after winterizing.

You’ll need to get a bunch of powders involved but I’ve made nice first pass 90% distillate from a methanol base. So it’s totally doable.

1 Like