Does anyone have experience with the Intella Sense 3 combustible gas leak detector by Mastercool ? Part #55975

How accurate have you found it to be? How often does it give false alarms? I’m still trying to locate a leak, but this thing is a little confusing.

2 Likes

mine shows me where the leaks are! cup your hand under the fiting your testing and put the sniffer into your cupped hand, heavy gasses will pool in your hand. I use air minitors, when they go off i go sniffing for the leak with the gas dectector.

4 Likes

All these sniffers work but i find a soapy solution in a spray bottle still works best
Ad Some glycerine(vg) to your solution and the bubbles can grow bigger and don t dry out When You leave your rig soaped up fir a while making even the smallest leak show up😀

5 Likes

Have any links to the air sniffers you like?

I’m with @Roguelab on this one. sniffers are great, and monitors are indispensable, but you can find much smaller leaks very quickly with soapy water.

I’d also forgotten the glycerin trick.

love this place…

2 Likes

I’m all for leak detectors but do you guys not pressure test your rig before you run it?? Thought that was standard.

when first assembled, I prefer to pressure test till the system holds solid for at least 48hrs. for every day operation, a 15 min pressure test & a 15 min vacuum test would be ideal.

most just do vac. and eventually learn that vac leaks and pressure leaks are different.

I’ve had to race across the room on more than one occasion to tighten clamps that were less that finger tight and were pouring solvent…

“…but it held vacuum…”

edit: I don’t believe even one of them was my fault. I’m just really good at showing up in the nick of time :wink:

I agree that a using little extra N2 every day is a great way of increasing lab safety.

3 Likes

Learned that on my first run lol

What pressure do you like to test at?

I leak test under water at 125psi. Then I’ll drop my rigs down to 100psi and leave them pressurize till they leave my house.

My own personally extractor I run 24 hour pressure tests every 3 months and the extractor gets pressurized before runs for at least an hour during set up.

3 Likes

10% less than gauge max (so as not to damage gauges)

or to PRV release (and reset) point.

whichever is achievable.

1 Like

Go all the way up to just under your pressure relief valves. If the pressure is good 10-12 hrs later you can add some more n2 to see that your prvs crack open and work. After that pull a hard vac on the entire system, if it holds steady for 10 hrs your good to fill the system.

1 Like

@Soxhlet Do you use these guys or is there something better out there?

https://www.amazon.com/Control-Devices-Brass-Safety-Pressure/dp/B0081TJJDG/ref=asc_df_B0081TJJDG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312252989710&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6630933077192204695&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032025&hvtargid=pla-493167148304&psc=1

Get a valve like this in the pressure range you need, all stainless internal with a hard seat. The soft seat valves can have questionable plastics within them.

3 Likes

@Killa12345 do you sell something like this in your store?

1 Like

I just started ordering some pressure relief valves for testing. I grabbed a lot of brass ones just to test as the stainless counterpart were like 6x the price. But I will have a lot on March.

Typically I geared my store toward the home extractor. Well that really don’t work here as everyone’s system is this mega extractor capable of running 300lbs a day. I get it.

I will carry all 3/8 and 1/2 stuff next year. Lots of bigger stuff

3 Likes

You ain’t kidding, the price on the stainless steel ones seem ridiculous. That’s why I was thinking if I’m gonna be spending $70 for a small piece like that I’d rather spend it in this community.

2 Likes

I’m gonna still focus on what I’m good at this year but I understand the need you all have and will try to stock a lot more parts that are geared for you bigger people.

2 Likes

What brand/model detectors and sniffers are recommended or tried and tested to detect butane or propane? Thanks

1 Like