DIY Machine's inaugural FF run finished, purge under way

Completed new machine’s first proper inaugural run last night. 3x24 DI column with a mix of my own Slippery Susan and Callgirl, both harvested last week and fresh frozen.

Hard to tell from the pics, but the crude was terpy as hell when poured off. Color was great. Will see how it looks this evening when I get back.

Next investment is going to be a proper vac oven as trying to purge with this dumb little ‘vac chamber’ is getting rather annoying. Just haven’t found a good enough deal to jump on, and I’m a cheap bastard.

2 Likes

If you just poured this last night i wouldnt be pulling vacuum on it yet.

I didn’t pull it super deep, was at about 22hg when I left this morning. Sitting at room temp.

But why did you pull a vacuum? Talk me through your thought process, and whats your desired end product?

3 Likes

Whelp, poured and let it sit and contribute to offgas until it was mostly still. I’m aiming for badder/budder as I like how my Sai TAF works with stuff of that consistency. Stood it up partway, but not enough to pop, then let it fall, back and forth at low vac until it stopped making big bubbles. Then pulled vac to 22 so it was fluffy looking but not fully inflated. I’m trying to introduce lots of little bubbles by doing this which in the past have tended to result in budder/wax depending on how deep a vac is pulled and for how long.

I’m no expert by any means, so I welcome comment or critique on my process. I’m here to learn, and seek community with people who get excited about the same esoteric shit that I enjoy.

2 Likes

I’d recommend pouring into a glass pan that allows the pan to have roughly 1-2" of extract in it, saran wrap the top tightly, then let it sit around 75-85f for a week or so. It may be to late since you have already removed most the solvent. but you could probably just start agitating it and mixing/whipping it while its warm to help nucleate the thca and make a badder.

4 Likes

I could see where that would be helpful, especially for making sugar. What sort of differences in final results do you get by slowing that initial solvent removal, vs low vac for a short duration (few days)?

As far as whipping it, I always thought that inflating and collapsing repeatedly does ab the same without having to agitate it by hand. Probably doesn’t result in bubbles as evenly distributed tho

2 Likes

slower the evaporation the larger the thca crystals will grow. Pulling vac is sure to make fine sugars, slow the evaporation enough and you can get little facets in your pan.

6 Likes

Just a tip: if you’re looking for less expensive vac ovens try auction sites, like lab and government surplus type as well as eBay. Local is going to be your best bang for your buck since these are heavy and nobody wants to crate them up to ship freight.

2 Likes

I would never pull vac on a batter. I let them sit at room temp until they calm down, then whip. Set in an oven at 78 - 80 F between whipping sessions until done.

Vac pulls terps as well as solvent.

6 Likes

I like to just whip it in a dish untill it barely melts back, then add it to a jar for a final whip and quick cap for some pressure.

3 Likes

I tried what was recommended above. I stand corrected, looks way better now after sitting at about 80-85F covered overnight.

I’m curious, how long do you typically leave it sitting to attain batter/butter consistency? I whipped the shit out of this stuff last night, then let it sit covered overnight on a clone warming mat. This morning it was sugary asf, opaque with bubbles mostly all popped. Still smells incredibly strong too

The oven just helps at the beginning to get rid of residual solvent. Whip it until you like the way it looks. Set it aside at room temp for a few minutes, and if it’s stable you’re done. If not pop it back in the oven for a few, then whip again (wash rinse repeat)

4 Likes