Distilling cbd disty Vs regular thc disty

Yea, but if the bodies are separate apart in mass. But if they are small in mass on each side then it takes it as a azetrope

1 Like

Well Iā€™m versed in thc distillation but am now doing cbd so was just wanting to know what to look out for before my first run.
Iā€™m assuming we are going to have to do chromatography to get the t out.
We want t free cbd disty

I dont think that it would technically be an azeotrope but I may be wrong

Flash LC is a type of column chromatography. It is a separation technique that uses positive pressure and adsorbants in a column to separate molecules rather than boiling under vacuum. The instruments to do this are generally more expensive. You can also use a traditional gravity column for less, however this process is fairly slow.

If you were to do a slow fractional collection you would want to test each sample and record all your parameters, then look for fractions with high CBD and low THC, then use the parameters from that run to conduct the next one. But again, without at least a very high end SPD you still probably wont see the kind of separation youā€™re looking for.

Think about it molecularly, it takes a comparable amount of energy, in this case thermal energy, in order to overcome the bonds of both molecules to free them and boil, due in part because of this the boiling point ranges of THC and CBD overlap. Therefore, the parameter of mantle temperature alone will not generally yield you pure fractions in your collection. This is why you can separate your volatile terpenes fairly wellā€¦well the monoterpenes and most sesquiterpenesā€¦from your cannabinoids. Terpenes have a significantly lower boiling point on average than cannabinoids, it takes less thermal energy to overcome the bonds and in turn you can boil them off at a lower temperature. This is also why diterpene alcohols such as phytol are harder to separate from cannabinoids as they have 4 isoprene units (C20H40O) compared to the 2 of monoterpenes (C10H16), and 3 of sesquiterpenes (C15H24).

You may yield somewhat desirable results using distillation for THC/CBD separation, but overall liquid distillation is not going to be the best technique for this separation.

2 Likes

Thanks so much thatā€™s really helpful. Iā€™d like to learn more about using flash chromatography for THC remediation. Or at least significant reduction. Are there any guides or books?

Ideally I want to learn is how to create a distillate which is as full a spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes as possible, with a very low % of THC.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s plenty of books out there on flash LC, though I would start by learning the fundamentals of chromatography and Liquid Chromatography before diving into the details

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to achieve the same goal. Iā€™m starting with 62%cbd 2% THC and 4% minors. Iā€™d like to make compliant (.3%thc) vapable oil. How much chromatography equipment investment to run 1 kilo a day? I havenā€™t bought a spd yet, but I do have access to one and I do have a rotovap.

Is it easier to separate thca from cbda than THC/CBD? Or even THC from cbda, if you could get the decarboxylation just right. Is isomerization the answer? What are the most prevalent products?

CBDA and THCA Decarb at the same rate essentially. Isomerization wonā€™t get you there as youā€™ll be turning Cbd to Thc , while the d9 present is going to d8.

Reverse phase flash is the common method. Rotary chromatography is used some and maybe Simulated moving bed chromatography.

As you can see, chromatography is the only real methodology.

Good luck, itā€™s expensive to start up. Itā€™s very easy to run, just time and resource consuming. Everything about manufacturing costs money. Many want to avoid that fact but itā€™s not possible.

Itā€™s not about spending money to make money, itā€™s about using your available resources strategically.

1 Like

The smarter and less expensive thing for me would be to move to a state with better legislation. Thanks for the info. I just got my first batch test result today and itā€™s about 7 times non compliant and would make a 100mg/gram vape diluted to compliance. Way too weak. I can do some other things with it or maybe mix it with isolate. Havenā€™t done the math on that yet. I wonder if I could find some near THC free hemp. If I could get some under .1% that would almost be good. So then the other thing would be to cryo extract and avoid any decarboxylation. How cool would I need to keep my roto flask when I recover? I could use a stronger vacuum than my shb iii water aspirator to make that work, right? Is anybody making delta9 compliant Vapes this way? (keeping thca)

Either Flash LC (liquid chromatography) or CPC (centrifugal partition chromatography) are suitable and popular methods. Neither is cheap for quality, even for manual injection units.

Try your hand at a convention column and maybe 3-18g of distillate, even better do some TLC (thin layer chromatography) and try out some solvent systems. Conventional columns can be found cheap on Ebay. Especially used, they are cheap but very slow.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, so do you know what it takes to produce about 50g/day? Thatā€™d be enough to start.not sure I understand you. Iā€™ll have to do some research, eBay is great, I know. Appreciate the knowledge :pray:

Heā€™s recommending a glass column. Not automated, you pack and faction yourself. It would work for your scale but takes more skill.

You have to track separation with TLC and take fractions by volume or time, instead of uv absorbance you get with the automated systems

Thanks, I understand that. Do you know what size Iā€™d be looking for? Iā€™ve got to develop or find a tlc sop as well, I suppose.

Many of the goodlife gang affiliates sells chromatography columns. 36-48 inch should be more then enough.

Lab supply companies sell reverse phase plates, hereā€™s a supplier of shortwave UV indicated plates:

Iā€™ll take my consulting fee in the form you getting yourself as high as you can on some dank.

What about manual spectrometry instead of tlc? That might be available on eBay

Yes they sell uv detectors that would work but Iā€™m less familiar with them.

Aw man thanks buddy I appreciate it. Sadly Iā€™m just making CBD for now here in NC. But Iā€™d gladly share what Iā€™ve got if you re ever in the neighborhood :+1:

Used one at the community college and we had a 1 month or so lesson on an old hplc. Thatā€™s the extent of my chromatography experience

From Virginia, you never know, I might take you up on that lol

2 Likes

Where at , Iā€™m right over the border in roxboro