Distilling cbd disty Vs regular thc disty

Is there anything different when it comes to running cbd crude vs thc crude?

1 Like

Cbd usually distills at a lower temp, I find 10 degree lower on my mantle

CBD comes off easier once your on the pocket.

2 Likes

They have the same boiling point just about, but since cbd has 2 bonds that can move it can distill easier. Also why cbd is slightly runny compared to thc

2 Likes

If you’re running a SPD of a high CBD dist, can you tell the difference between the THC and CBD as its boil off? Or will they both come together? I have a CBD dist that I want to remove some or most of the THC.

1 Like

Qualitatively you can only make an educated guess, without sensitive equipment like a fraction finder, and as a rule of thumb THC and CBD will co-distill

3 Likes

I hear the fraction finder now has cbd and thc wave lengths dialed in, might be possible

2 Likes

I would love a fraction finder but for now thats far out of my budget. Do you have any recommendations for lowering the THC? At the moment I’m thinking I’ll just get to the right temp and distill for 10 mins or so, then get the starting material tested to see how much the THC has lowered? Might be a bit of trial and error the first few times I guess.

1 Like

Well you could do a very “low and slow” fractional distillation where you change fraction collections on your still every 5*C increased temp or so, but you honestly probably wont see the kind of separation you’re hoping for, at least without a fairly advanced rig.

Distillation of liquids becomes less and less efficient for separation as you close a 20*C gap between two molecules boiling points, which the range of energy needed to distill THC and CBD overlap a fair amount. This is one of the reasons why distillation is more of a “sample prep” in the CBD industry, while flash LC and similar chromatography methods are usually employed for THC remediation.

2 Likes

Sorry I’m not familiar with those terms, Sample prep, flash LC?

1 Like

Lc is liquid chromatography

Is it possible to separate the thc in the cbd disty using the fraction finder?

I have a 12L big bore short path and a fraction finder. we have done low and slow, and still testing out switching flask. Every 5C is not going to be enough they are two close. Best we have gotten is a 1-2% drop in THC starting with 50% Cbd, 4% THC

1 Like

13 Likes

Beautiful rig man

4 Likes

thanks, we use it for testing it sits in one of our storefronts.

what are you trying to achieve?

1 Like

So the best you got was 50%CBD with a reduction of 1-2% THC? What if you were willing to loose some CBD could you remove more THC? My starting material is also 50% CBD 4% THC- ideally i need to get the THC down to 1%, at least. Anywhere between 30%-50% CBD will be ok.

I have no idea where to begin with chromatography for THC remediation. Can you even get the equipment as easily as SPD? Any good books?

I’m paying a consultant right now and setting up a few columns for chromatography. looking into some flash chroma but not seeing the value yet. I did get a pass down to 1% but I’m looking for .3%

2 Likes

If I did this, would I need to test the distilled material to see what happens? At the moment I’m struggling to figure out how to know when to stop so I dont loose too much CBD if they’re goingto come out together,

I have a customer that’s using the fraction finder with a diffusion pump on a 3L short path setup I got him into. He’s able to get much better fractioning in a small volume setup with the diffstak…