Distilling a THC-free broad spectrum product

Hi folks, I wanted to ask about the reality of distilling a THC-free broad spectrum product starting with low-THC biomass. I can occasionally find white label CBD that fits this bill, but is this real broad spectrum product or is it “broad spectrum” in that they mix CBD isolate with some terps in MCT? I ask because I’ve found pretty much zero broad spectrum THC-free distillate for wholesalers.

So, what’s the reality in turning, for example, a .3% THC biomass into a THC-free distillate? Can processors distill out a .3% THC extract?

First you’ll need to define “full spectrum”.

Imo it’s a marketing term not one that has much basis in science.

If it’s terpenes that you’re after, then the only way to get them in your distillate is to add them “back”.

Loosing the thc is not achieved via distillation. Crystallization is one route.

So now you’re asking how to make full spectrum isolate which qualifies as an oxymoron imo.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Not sure how else to look at it.

3 Likes

My understanding is that ‘broad spectrum’ describes ‘full spectrum minus THC.’ So I understand ‘broad spectrum’ as having CBD, CBN, CBG, the full cannabinoid profile, minus the THC itself.

My suspicion is that the bottle of ‘broad spectrum’ tincture I have with me is just what you described – a mixture of CBD isolate, terpenes, and MCT being marketed as ‘broad spectrum’ deceptively.

I guess what I’m asking is – is CBD isolate the only avenue we have for creating a THC-free product?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure there are other routes, but crystallization a couple of times is by far the simplest, and the only one I’m certain of.

There is also deliberate isomerization to cbn and chromatography.

Big pharma tries to avoid preparative chromatography whenever possible, because it’s expensive.

The magic behind degradation seems closely gaurded

6 Likes

Has the curtain been lifted on the magic behind degradation yet? Asking for a friend. :wink: