Distillation heads

Do You have Any means to Measure your vacuum depth ?
Cause 270 is mighty high
I am afraid an air leak in your system is the culprit
:fist_right:

1 Like

#ChinaGlassGang… Maybe I should switch from ptfe tape to vacuum grease… that’d be a great start🤦‍♂️

2 Likes

if your head temp ever is over 210, somethings wrong, Continuing will yield some viable thc, but it will be at the cost of severe degredation

Lab societys original 2Liter series heads I think are fairly inexpensive now, go for a silvered head if anything, its incredible how much that helps.

Gold leaf, vacuum dynamics, and extractor depot are the other cannabis specific options

But frankly, You can distill great oil out of the simplest of glass pieces, if youre still a beginner with SPD, cheap but sound assemblies will give you a great education

Grab a 100mm Male/female fractional distillation column and a couple of those takeoff adapters, the straight male/female tubes with the side male joint. use those as your stillhead, and distribution adapter instead of/with a cow.

Search Claisen Distillation Adapter in ebay and buy one thats not super cheap. youll get a good idea just by looking at it like legos.

Wrap the Boiling flask and distillation set up with aluminum foil and then rope, youll get a pretty good result, especially if you can find a packable s

2 Likes

@goldleaf_scientific has American made, affordable glassware. Probably won’t break like that OSS

1 Like

Your mastercooler HVAC pump wont work well

But a JB built 7CFM Eliminator or the like will absolutely crush it

3-400$ for a good pump

1 Like

IT funny how resource full we all seem to be i remeber starting with. Glass wear
Shocked at the price of vacuum ptfe grease
And thinking ptfe tape should do iT
Once that didn t i went for heat proof silicone from the hardware shop
( forgot to dismantel iT all :cry: IT was all glued as one )
Then to cheap vacuum Grease
And ended up with ptfe sleaves and a globe of Distillate @Soxhlet method
We somehow have a same way of solving problems ( ir waisting precious time):grinning:

4 Likes

Go buy a Summit research SPD set up.

I do have 3 Across international heads for sale
NEW IN BOX

2- 5L Heads
1-2L Head

DM me pimp

1 Like

Dm me a price and pic of the 2l spd head. I may want to upgrade from m china glass head.

Im sure you mean well, but AI glass has a high likelyhood of leaking

@Demontrich it’s China glass with AI also.

@Psilisophical Let’s take a guess why they are still in the box? :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

china glass doesnt mean shit, it just mean likely shit :joy:

1 Like

So should a newbie (me) use the head that came with the usalabs spd kit, or splurge for a quality head? I was hoping not to drop any more coin, but what’s another 800-1k.

I’m very much anticipating a huge return from 1lb properly ran etoh crude

1 Like

Set up what You have right now
Grease everything pull a vacuum on the rig for say a half hour
Maybe heat your mantel up a little
If she holds a good vac You are Ok
I started with all sorts of glasswear that was not short :grinning:
And worked pretty Well
A good heat controll and a deep vacuum are key
How large is your boiling flask ?

1 Like

im just about ready to give this a shot. Im setting my stuff as i type this. Ill probably do some vac testing tomorrow and if i have time…give it a shot. Play catchup @Demontrich. LOL

Need to set the work table up. But it’s coming together.

3 Likes

Sorry seems a 2 liter size
So what size cfm does your pump have?
7 cfm i considder minimal
Vacuum depth the pump can achieve ?
O and that test run only makes sense If You have Some way of measuring vacuum

2 Likes

I got tickets to the show so ready whenever You are :grinning:

2 Likes

He does
A bullseye.

I just got pushed back 1 week on my etoh wash. 8 have to make 6x uvc filter boxes now.

1 Like

is this still for sale?