Distillation Consult - Need help!

What volume of solvent hit s the freezer ?
Are you sure it dropped to -80 C when winterizing filtration occures ?
Not that it really matters when extracted at -70C
Ok so time for the pope settings
@cannabuilder @Kingofthekush420
Help out over here @mj_martini
@Lilibel

Ham you worked on popes haven t you ?
Bring him a visit please ?

If you’ve distilled all the way down at 136C and still have the same color issue, it’s the material and pre-distallation processing, not the machine. Have you done a basic baseline refinement to give yourself a reference? Do a basic run of cold extraction → filter-> solvent recovery → decarb → distillation and see what you get for color and go from there.

Thank you !:+1:

That’s all totally depending on if the carbon media is ph high or acid activated it will throw off ph forsure but if thc disty then you may not be using enough or the right micron for color pigmentation & process could be faulty. I have multiple color &thc remediation sops lemme know

Never ran a Pope, but I scheduled a phone call with @Cannaking420 . . . I’m always game for visits

3 Likes

Ohh don t go to deep lets keep things simple
Would you recomend a carbon scrub under these extraction conditions
He states that his crude is clear to yellow ?
Come on the art of consulting is giving to get :wink:

2 Likes

I mean if. I want some cheap clear tek yeah carbon ideal no matter what t41 won’t hurt to add too. But ph is a hugeeeeee factor of this filtration process.

Ok in my findings carbon does little to cryo etho extracts and i would not recomend right away
T41 sounds like a good option
Cleartek as in the distillate beying water clear or delta8 clear ?

What vacuum level do you hit on first and second pass?

1 Like

For a thc remediation this will do water for cbd it will convert d8.

I agree
But the main question i have is with all the development in powders in the cannabis scene
Is Activated carbon still your favorit powder like the prime option for scrubing an etho extract ?
Think we should start a poll on this

Really just depends what I’m wanting as a end product. Tbh my filtering stages can pull a clean disty but clear takes a different approach. I can make good disty no winterization just filter.

Most only use one grade of carbon to, let them use the search bar to figure that out I use 3 :wink:

2 Likes

Ok now if we analize @Cannaking420
His isseu is the red color
Not complaining about any thing else
He cryo exrracts
He has a light colored crude
He carbon scrubs
I have the feeling a the carbon scrub
Hurts more than helps
And indeed that his filtration timing and effort is off
Filter right after extracting
Silica not well understood
Ph might indeed be afected but doesn t seem likely if a neutral AC is used
At that temp

Need to know his exact temps & what he’s doing for activation of ac how long it sits, what grades etc to help properly

I’ve heard heptane/water washes will remove lots of shit, including reds.

1 Like

Confirmed. @pollenmaster (though, many compounds can fall under the board term “reds” - not all of them removed with water)

Great point, thank you. It won’t take the “reds” out of your tails but should clean up the main fraction.

the silica turns a yellowish brownish color after we filter it through it. But the end result after the silica turns the extract into a very light almost water color. However, after it comes out of the roto its dark brown.

I checked the ph of my distillate after i red this post. It was at around 4.0 - 4.4 pH. I also checked the ph of the crude oil after the carbon scrub and it was the same.