Distillation Consult - Need help!

I’m currently working with an ethanol extraction machine with a capacity of 8lbs per run, a 20L Rotovap, and a 4’ pope (wiped film distillation machine) but I’m having trouble with the color of my distillate. Anyone out in LA or willing to travel to LA looking to make some extra $$ to help a brother out? I have a fully licensed facility.

Thanks in advance.

Don t want to snag any consultant of a job but many times revealing exactly
What you do to us
Can give a solution ?
And this one sounds easy

2 Likes

This may be able to be done through video chat or over the phone, as it seems like an easy fix to get you back up to parr! Let me know if we can help

2 Likes

Theres many tweaks to your current process as well as several ancillary techniques that can achieve what youre looking for, DM me if youre interested.

2 Likes

Can you provide more details on your process? Many of us here can help - and often times through phone/video calls and texts emails for something like this. . . Though I’m local and can stop by sometime.

4 Likes

lets see it! (pictures of your crude & distillate)

what temp are you extracting?
Do you check the proof of your recovered solvent?
are you using CDA12a?
do you have the same issues with fresh solvent?
how about the temps on that Pope?

4 Likes

Where in LA are you located? I’m in socal. DM me I’m sure I can help.

1 Like

We need a standardized SOP so that we can consistently get a golden color distillate rather than a dark brown that barley see through. We have the proper machines and supplies (i’m assuming) but we can’t get the right color. We’ve has some people come to our lab to help us but no one has ever stayed through the entire process and as soon as the consultant leaves a new problem arises.

Hey i Just DM’ed you on instagram

Ok lets start from the top
Method of extraction
Cold or warm ?
Solvent used?
Filtration after extraction ?
Winterizing?
Wich powders are beeing used to clean crude ?
By wich method are the powders used
Wet / dry /temp/
Color of crude after cleanup ?

1 Like

Cold Ethanol denatured Extraction at roughly -70 c
After that let it sit until the extract reaches room temp then we add carbon 250g per 5 gallons
then filter at 3 or less micros
then winterize at -80 c for 24 hours
then filter again
after filter we make a silica bed and filter again
then rotovap
then decarboxylation at 130c on a hotplate until it stops bubbling
then we take it to the Pope machine
1st run we do 120C and 20C internal condenser for the first run
2nd run we do 136C to 180C and 40-70degrees for the condenser (we’ve tried almost every variation of these temps) but we still get a dark reddish color distillate

1 Like

Perhaps do a run without carbon. I don’t generally use carbon unless I know there is a reason to (odd extraction parameters or known bad material).

1 Like

No filtration when solvent/extract is still cryo ?
Ok so the whole extraction solvent is used for your carbon scrub ?
Filter over silica ?
Wiich type of silica ?
celite?
Whats the vac depth on the pope ?
First and second pass ?

1 Like

As @NewLevelProcess new level process say s
Carbon creates a red heu to say the least
Bentonite clays do a better job
As long as they are neutral in ph and your temp is mild not hot
@Cheebachiefextracts whats your opinion

I am pretty sure I know his issue

So let s hear it !!!
I like this site for exactly this
Exchanging tech and getting tthings done together
So spit it out @Snook

3 Likes

After extraction, the first thing we do is let it sit until it gets to room temperature. Then we add the carbon. This usually turns the color of the extract to very close to clear but still a golden color. At this point we put it in the freezer to “winterize” at -80c for 24hrs. Thereafter we filter out whatever fats came as a result of winterization (very little) barely noticeable. We then make a silica bed and filter that again. This process occurs as soon as the extract comes out of the freezer. We then rotovap. Then decarb on a hot plate at 130 c until it stops bubbling. Then its off to the pope.

hmmm ok when extracting biomass cryo a cryo filtration of the extract makes sense at 25mic to make sure no plant material is left in solution
As for winterizing if extracted at -70C this should indeed not have a lot of fats and waxes come out
Even thou i wonder what solvent: oil ratio this mixture is for to dilluted oil will have negative effects for fats amd waxes to fall out of solution
As for the carbon scrub i think it does more harm than good in your case
Carbon works don t get me wrong but
Carbon has a good retention of chlorophyl wich at temps below -67C has no affinity with etho and does not seem likely to be in large amounts in your extract

2 Likes

I have the same opinion as Rogue, carbon might clear up oil but it takes the yellow hues and leaves behind only red hues. Carbon also has an extremely high surface area and unless you’re washing your bed extremely thoroughly, you may also be affecting your yield negatively.

1 Like

As for silica
Silica is a great powder but in your discription i miss the poiint
What do you notice happens to your silica during and after filtration ?
Any colors caught any thing noticible ?
As for silica it s also a very fine powder and chances of it sliping treu are big
If your only use is to catch al the carbon
Celite is a beter bet