Distillate tails + chromatography?

Hey, I know there’s definitely some decent thc content left in the flask after the bulk of the distillate run is gone.

I was curious if anyone’s tried chromatography/DCVC to sneak out the last bits in there. I found re-distilling the tails took the boiling point wayyy higher than I’d assume would be good for the cannabinoids.

3 Likes

I usually just dump it back into solvent and rewinterize

3 Likes

It makes sense that the temps would rise with lower concentration in the tails, but what confuses the hell out of me is the fact that head temps seem to drop once the tails fraction starts and keeps going down further into the tails. Totally opposite from what I’ve experienced with distilling ethanol. I think I saw on instagram that @anon42519203 has a method for purifying tails. Might be info reserved for those on his paid site though.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s usually suuuuper dark for me though

1 Like

Vapor temp drops due to fraction depletion… its a pretty good indicator things are about to change. I dont rely on it much due to vac depths im at. But on normal systems it will speak somethibg

As for the remediations. Ya its paid site info but to be honest its pretty standard… i just broke down what was worth doing and what wasnt… and how to.

4 Likes

my vapor temp on hemp distillate dropped out and i thought the distillation was complete… I saved the black stuff but should I try to pull more out? at what point is it truly complete>?

2 Likes

Can always test it? But the tailings are anywhere from 30-70% cannabinoids I’ve found

What was your bf temp and vac depth?

Honestly its usually not worth yhe return in time. Best to move on.

Vac depth was sub 100micron

Bf temp 190

Vapor temp was steady between 165-175 during mains, then vapor temp dropped to 140 and flask showed little action.

Cbd hemp

2 Likes

Can I separate out CBDa from crude in a chromatography column?

3 Likes

Hello @Rowan. Did you ever figure that out? I’m looking for CBDa compliant or NDT crude.

1 Like

Do a tlc on silica 60 and check. Then scale it up and pull rf

1 Like

Usually tails suddenly start with a 2C drop on vapor temp. Purifying tails just has to do with a magsil run and correct pHing for me. Theres a ratio of tails to magsil column bore size that matters. That takes tester runs on smaller glass columns. I dont bother with bleaching powders, too inconsistent.

3 Likes

Yes you can

1 Like