Discrepancy between crude resin yield and tested CBD content on hemp biomass

So… anyone work with semi-large scale hemp extraction (1,000lb/day+) and find that the total crude resin yield never matches up to the tested CBD percentage as tested in the biomass?

For example: if we have 1,000 lb of biomass that has been independently tested showing 10% CBD/CBDA on that lot, then it gets extracted and the TOTAL yield before winterizing might be around 10%, but the crude resin might have 50-70% CBD (decarbed equivalent). That means the biomass supplier is thinking they have ~100lb CBD in their biomass, but only 50-70lb comes out in the ~100-ish lb of crude resin. If the analytical testing was even remotely correct, it would mean there is 30-50lb CBD left in the biomass. The kicker is that if the exhausted biomass is tested for CBD content, it would come back at <1%…so ~10lb at best.

Are other extractors seeing the same thing? I know testing is far from perfect, but I’d like to make sure I’m not missing something and that we can figure out a way to help farmers (especially new hemp farmers) understand the CBD accounting.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So what’s your total yield on 1000 pounds of 10% COA tested biomass ? Post decarb and winterization ? Do you take totals before decarb or winterization ?

Been seeing close to the same thing we run six to eight hundred pounds per day but post-process biomass is closer to 2% residualI have found that chopping the biomass up before sending it to testing Lab help some with numbers inevitably when I walk in the lab and watch thim pull samples they start grabbing buds out of the bag for their 5G test

Yes pre mill your sample. Homogenize the material you want tested. Or they will give you the best results they can cause they want your money

3 Likes

We run about 1500 lbs per day. There’s not a direct correlation between CBD content and oil yield. Crude CBD oil (its not a “resin”) is only about 50-67% CBD, so there are other components in crude oil beside CBD.

Discussed it somewhat here

1 Like

I usually take final yield after winterization and any clean-up work that might need to be done…depending on biomass.

Thank you for the reference! That helps.

sorry…didn’t complete that last reply. I don’t typically decarb for most clients.
On a 10% CBD biomass (per their CoA) and without milling, we will get 10-12% post winterization and micro-filtration. We’ve had the exhausted biomass tested in the past and range of 0.5% to 1.0% residual CBD on milled biomass.

Agreed, lots of compounds aside from CBD in the extract…but I was only concerned with the CBD accounting.

Interesting to me you corrected my calling it “resin” in preference for “oil”. From every definition of oil and oleoresin as it relates to cannabis extract, oleoresin seems to be the better fit. Maybe it’s relative to the extraction method and what the resulting extract composition is? Don’t mean to start and argument over semantics…just was curious to see what you prefer “oil”. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

So ya then what’s your concerned point then? 1000 pounds at 10% should yield 10% plus some additional bullshit which your saying is around 12% so what’s your issue your clarifying ?

1 Like

I’m also not trying to be anal, but I would say that a CBD crude oil has resin in it, but that it is not in itself a resin. Rosin, for example, is a form of resin that has been heated cooled, but if we examine rosin we will find that it’s almost exclusively the resins from the plant that are extracted through heat and pressure. When we extract crude oil using ethanol, there are waxes and lipids that remain present even through winterization. When we take it to distillate and remove those components we are left with a more resinous distillate. The trichome itself is made of plant resins.

Also, depending on how efficient you are, there will be between 1-3% left in the waste biomass. We extract all about around 1% of the CBD. If you don’t have a good greenwaste recycling program, you will be leaving up to 15% of both your CBD and ethanol in the greenwaste. You should be at around 95-97% efficiency.