Discharge pumps on wiped film

What are some reasons that gear pumps are utilized as opposed to peristaltic pumps on the discharge end of a wiped film?

2 Likes

Gear pumps are easier to make a heated feed with, they dont wear out as much consumables like the peristaltic pumps like to do.
The only time ive seen peristaltics on a wfe was a beaker and wrench hit and run!
What manufactures need to do is ditch the gravity fed systems and put a second gear pump in the system like a roots vta. The perastaltic pumps you see are like a bandaid for an underlying design flaw.

7 Likes

I’m going to revive this thread to see if anyone has had experience with buying used magnetic drive gear pumps to rig up their own discharge pumps?

I’ve done this in the past on small 2" Popes as a means for recycling residue, hoping to scale this method up for 4" and 6" stainless units.

My thoughts are to buy a used magnetic drive gear pump and rig it with a KF16 inlet and a hose barb outlet to drain into steel containers for storage. Looking at something like this, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micropump-GC-M35-PF5SE-Magnetic-Drive-Gear-Pump-with-Baldor-MOTOR-CL3503-NEW/143239154412?hash=item2159b80aec:g:GnQAAOSwGZlczcBi. Then either affix heating blocks or heat tape to the pump head to keep things hot. Good gear pumps seem to run between $400-$2000 for the size Im looking for, it would probably only be around $50-$100 for the fittings to rig it with, so hopefully I can build these pumps for $2000 or under.

3 Likes

Gear pump are more reliable for WF. Gear pump are made out of metal and can be heated or jacketed for high temperature. Some client’s heavy fraction are ultra high viscosity, which may clog discharge pipeline even at 80C.

2 Likes

I’m looking for a similar pump in order to run my FFE continuously. I would be using the pump to pump crude. Does anyone have recommendations?

a small gear pump should work fine.

you want to pump crude out of the system without breaking vac?

Yes - that’s the plan.

1 Like

Depends how you extract, if you have a ton of sugars you’ll want something that can crunch right through them

Don’t use hear pump with ffe. You want tilt plate diaphragm.

Tilt plate diaphragm?

@Psilisophical any recommendations? I think i recall you telling about a cool thing or two you’ve done in that area

You love coming up with weird new words for things.

2 Likes

Yes we have them for our ffe. I can make you a cart with control pannel for like 25k