Difference in handling cannabis-derived CBD and hemp-derived CBD

Hello everyone,

I am under the impression that CBD derived from hemp (<0.3% THC) and CBD derived from cannabis (>0.3% THC) are treated differently under the law.

Is this true, even if the final product has no THC present? Can anyone provide me with examples of how this treatment varies in product sales or product transport?

Your impression is correct.

CBD derived from hemp is treated as such

CBD derived from recreational or medicinal marijuana is treated as such

They can not both me made in the same facility depending on the state.

In oregon you can have hemp products in dispensaries, if they are provided by an OLCC licensed company.

in california and some other states you cannot have hemp products in a dispensary, but quite a few do not follow those rules, or find loopholes that they think makes it ok like selling them in the lobby.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, I’m no expert here.

1 Like

Hemp <.3% and “Marijuana” >.3% are just the legal terms given to a Cannabis plant and its derivatives, depending on the level of D9 it tests at (now including THC-A), but it’s all Cannabis. “Hot” hemp is legally considered as “Marijuana”. If someone extracted CBD from a THC-Dominant strain, I don’t think it being the source would affect legality. Especially with no T present in the final product.

I’m no expert either, just thinking logically.