determined short path virgin, need some help making sure i have what i need

ok, so I have been tasked by the company owner to set up a short path distillation lab at my job. I am entirely new to this, except reading here and skunkpharms blog.

so far we have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Labwang-Short-Path-Distillation-Flange/dp/B07LBSL6XH/ref=sr_1_40?crid=2XQOQK3Q5KWGU&keywords=distillation+kit+24%2F40&qid=1567279920&s=gateway&sprefix=distillation+kit+%2Caps%2C500&sr=8-40

i know that kit isnt the best/newest, its what the boss would pay for

i got a 3 way cow and two more receiving flasks.

i know i need an alcetel 2021i for a vac pump.

the part that i am lost on is im reading breaking dabs tek and they mention first having the condenser cold, then hot. do i need a chiller and a heater? im a little confused on the temp thing

edit: so it looks like i really need a heater/chiller combo. is this right? any recommendations for one that wont break the bank?

I am looking at https://www.usalab.com/chillers-heaters/5L currently, any better for the price? this doesn’t quite go to the temps mentioned in the tek :expressionless:

When it comes to hot condensing, there’s definitely some tricks to it.

At the start of the run when you are not collecting cannabinoids, you can benefit from chilling the condenser with a circulating chiller to help condense volatiles and protect your pump. It’s not necessary if you have two cold traps with ice under the collections.

Hot condensing works well with wide bore gear, I’ve not got any experience with valved setups.

1 Like

By valved setup I mean a setup with a ptfe stopper within above the collection

1 Like

the valve part is being replaced by a cow and 2 more collection flasks

Hot condensing won’t work with most cow setups, you’ll need an open path behind your collection to get the full effect

1 Like

ok, so what do i need to replace to make this work?

check dm’s

I’d love to hear what information you got behind the scenes. I’m looking for a similar setup myself.

@RedundantAlexithymia

Thanks!