Delta 10 testing - Labs that can test

Hi guys,
I’ve been having a nightmare of a time pinpointing the cause of suspected delta 10 conversion in my process and had difficulty finding a lab.

I am so thankful to the team at CalAg Labs in Marysville for accessing the standard and helping me to positively identify the Delta 10 conversion (from the previously recorded CBC)

I’ll keep you posted when I identify the exact cause specifically.

Cryo Ethanol Extraction - Pinnacle
Bag/pig/(& soon adding 16x4 lenticular) Winterization
Solvent recovery - Pinnacle
Decarboxylization - RotoVap
Remediation - various media
pH balancing
2 pass extraction - B/R (& soon adding VTA)

2 Likes

Can you be more specific, and regardless this is my guess anyway…
And welcome to the site!

2 Likes

Have you tested after each of these steps yet? I’m assuming no in house analytics?

If not i really recommend you do as it will tell you exactly what step makes the d10 pop up.

2 Likes

I had multiple tests come out of couple of batches that had up to 25% CBC…
Dumbfounded (& After stalking many of the posts here) I tried to have the CBC investigated for potential misread.
I found a company who sold the standard but they wouldn’t tell me who their customers were for fear of favoritism but CalAg Labs were willing to procure the standard and quantify firstly what the CBC read really was Comprised of, & secondly… has supported me in numerous tests of material to get some more detail as to why it is occurring.

We haven’t nailed it just yet but are getting closer and today I was looking for another lab to cross-validate their results (before concluding what I think we know) but had the same struggle to find another lab who can do it.

I read a fair few posts on the topic and didn’t notice anyone else referring to a lab that was testing for them so I thought I’d let the team here know.

@AlexSiegel

3 Likes

100%, I have a series of testing over 2 full batches now and spot tests on others.
I have a little more Analysis to go (& cross-validation by another lab to validate results) before I understand and can really isolate the cause but this post isn’t so much about my test as it is acknowledgement for a lab focused on us doing better work.

@kcalabs can test it for you as well.

Did any of your interim tests show a higher level of d10 vs a prior steps test?

Also what media are you using to remediate? and can you walk us through your ph balance step? Are you doing a LLE to get your aqueous layer at 7 PH?

2 Likes

I believe pH of the crude was my biggest culprit along with a sub-par decarboxylization step.
I am using (from first to final material) MagSil, Silica, Achromatizing clay, Carbon, Celite In a 12” spool and found that the biggest shift in pH was the carbon (dropping down to 5.4).
Originally I was water washing to get back to a neutral pH however would loose a lot of yield from this so recently trialed batching the solution with Sodium Bicarbonate & running it back through celite (& a 0.5um sintered filter plate)
The spool runs at 14psi and flows at around 20L/hr (batches at a 2:1 ratio)
The results of the first run tested side by side against a batch processed without pH neutrality showed a Great improvement however I don’t have enough info to put my finger completely on it as being solved.
I also noticed that the conversion for double distilled had a higher figure (but that wasn’t tested completely through all steps)

I’m trying!

1 Like

I would be suspect of the double B/R run. Too much heat/residence time.

I reckon you may be right there too so i am currently setting up a VLK-70 wiped film short path unit and will test that.
I’m not sure if i mentioned it earlier but one run with incomplete testing of all steps (but double-distilled) had twice the delta 10 value of single pass.
The 2nd pass run was controlled closely with 0.00-0.02mm/hg and never got hotter than 188c pot temp but was running at 200-400ml/hr (very slow)
This is the next thing to check & follow up on