Crystal Resistant Distillate - CRD

Bump - @thesk8nmidget how’s your progress?

3 Likes

I know he had a project running when I was visiting his lab last. I wanna know the results, too. Haha

1 Like

Its going alright, I have made about 4kgs of approx 55%cbda and 45% cbd, which I have heat cycled a handful of times and made a cart to also heat cycle and it looks good and has yet to crystallize at all. Its just a lot darker than i would want in volume and still a little dark in a cart. with terps its better.

I havent sent this batch in for 3rd party yet. but i do have some third party results for old batches i have made I’ll attach them below.

The attached coa batch was more of an experiment if the cbd would crash out. and it has started to nucleate in spots after about a month sitting. (i knew this wasnt the right solution but i was curious to see if it would still crash quickly like other 73% cbd does. I think the cbda absoltuely slowed the crash but didnt prevent it.)
200916E0101.pdf (1.0 MB)

This was a tiny bench top test with grm media.
Separation Sciences CBDA - Potency.pdf (169.5 KB)

Here’s a picture of it in volume and also in carts with and without terps.

3 Likes

damn boy. What if you crc it to improve color?

1 Like

I have spent a good amount of time trying different things to improve the clarity including most known crc techniques, A/B washes, Magsil.

Its kind of on the back burner until I can find more time to play with it all.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on the why and the how of your heat cycling?

Membranes…

1 Like

I have the equipment just need to find the time to try the different membranes and dial in the process. Not many people are winterizing with hexane.

1 Like

I’m just referring to heat cycling the oil after it’s in it’s finished form to see if I can get it to crystallize.

I have put these in carts to heat up and cool to see if they eventually crystallize like most CRD being sold.

1 Like

We sell some which is 60:30:9 CBD:CBDA:Minors which is great - we sell a fair bit to the EU and UK, but it’s expensive - we sell at $10 per gram.
The budget option IMO would be a high CBC extract but I haven’t seen a good one yet.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing what temp you heat them up to, and for how long? What temp are you cooling them down to, and for how long? How many heat/cool cycles do you do for this crystallization check?

Any ideas on why these heat/cool cycles lead to CBD crystallization in carts?

1 Like

i have essentially just tried a lot of tricks that i have learned to speed up the act of crystallization by putting the sample in a freezer and then heating it back up to 80c and then pouring it out on a tray and agitating it with a fork or mixing utensil, and then putting it in a cart and then simply just using which does a grea job f acting like a mini reactor that heats up and cools quickly. Still no crystals to be found.

These are all things that speed up the the crystallization of higher purity cbd and help the crystals nucleate. The reason most cbd crystallizes in carts is because there is to much cbd (>60%) The higher percentage of cbd the faster it will crystallize.

2 Likes

If anyone can provoide CRD CBG DISTILLATE please let me know on private. We need 10-50kg in Europe monthly.

2 Likes

Anytime the decarb pot is pure as fuck it will crystalize or harden up.

Anytime you have contaminants or stretchers in there it won’t crystalize or harden.

Preventing high purity decarbed or distilled product from crystalizing just requires limonene and borenial? terps basically. You need terps that are in high concentrations that also can dissolve the product. Anything that separates from the product won’t allow it to be crystal resistant.

Cbda can be purified but the process is as follows.

Cbda crude into a terp stripper. Harvest the terps and remove them.
Cbda crude now needs to be stripped. You want to media and hydrocarbon strip.

Remove the hc.

Take the terps and move them back into your sticky gel.

You can now add this composition to cbd decarb materials and prevent it from crystalizing. This is the mirror step for taking crude and stripping terps, then distilling then reintroduced as well as that product put into thca sauces for widening the profile for consumption.

1 Like

Original batch on the right and new process on the left.

Finally got the CRD dialed in for color. Obviously this is without distillation. And biomass was from last years harvest.

4 Likes

Is that a rug?

3 Likes

Nice, how saturated are terps.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a rug in my office.

This is pretty minimal on terps. Non added but there is a bit of a hemp nose on it since we never go very high on temps during processing.

41%cbda
49% cbd

6 Likes

Straight glass y’all

6 Likes

That’s awesome good work @nostrum how much do u sell it for?

1 Like