CRC curiosity

Hi everybody! I was wondering, now that ive begun to upsize my CLS, can I use my 1.5" and 2" columns as reservoirs for powders for CRC to keep them separated from my 6" sintered disc which is sandwiched between layers of filter plates so as to not dirty it up so much?
Thanks in advance to you all

1 Like

How much material is in the 6” material columns?

It would be helpful to have more information about the configuration of your current set up. But if you have a 6" sintered disc, having powders in a 1.5" or 2" column seems like a poor idea. Flow through a 1.5 or 2" column filled with powder would be terribly slow when trying to run the volume of solvent required to wash a 6" column of any length.

1 Like

Wrong. We pipe our 6 and 8 in columns into 4" and 3" and would do 2" of i had it crc columns.
The residency time is better creating better color

3 Likes

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

But you just used an example that doesn’t prove anything. Your using a 3" spool. Surface area on a 3" is 6 square inches. I am assuming the ID of a 1.5" spool, and it would actually be less than 1.5 inches squared. the reduction in surface area does not reduce flow to the point of crawling through a 6 or 8" column?

As I said above…there isnt enough info to help. What advice do you offer the OP based on info provided? How do you successfully run a large volume of oil laden solvent through a very small surface area of filtration media?

If you have garbage input…maybe you actually need a 3 foot 1.5" spool to drip a decent concentrate out. I dont do that.

Not if your using nitrogen.
Its obviously not as fast as no crc but not too slow either. Steady pee stream.
I would suggest if using a 2" to use atleast a foot. On thr main rig we run from a 8x48 to dewax connected to a 4x6 crc column. Twice as tall because its twice as narrow (the 2x12)
Run the 2 in column. Use a 2" to 6" reducer. Will not be an issue.

3 Likes

Hi again! Im running a 4x48 column which I’m about to add another one. From there, it’s reduced to a 1/4" line which, i know i have to gauge up my lines. From there, i had it going into the crc. I have a 6"sintered disc sandwiched between filter plates because i got it from bvv so it’s not welded and would periodically kick out diagonal. Also, so i don’t get so much powder hitting the disc. I was thinking i could just add columns between the material column and sintered disc instead of buying more 6" filter discs

Personally you probably could have just used a 4" welded filter the same size as ur material column

I would get some prefilters before that 6" disk. Esp if it’s not welded in. Sounds like it’s not enough to use solo. Which idk if I would use any filter here alone

So you have 4" material columns, a 6" sintered discs, and want to use 1.5" or 2" spools for your crc?

Where and how are you employing this 6" disc? Pictures are worth 1000 words.

3 Likes

Keep what separated? I’m confused on what’s being asked. Are you asking if you can use smaller spools as medium columns? Sure, but why?

Why do you need to buy more discs?

I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking here. Pictures and a better description would help.

1 Like

The disc is inside the bottom half. I was going to use the top half for media and thought 8x perhaps using my 2" for the AC before hitting the bentonite clay and diatomaceous earth in the 6"so as to give a gap between the powders. I am constantly upgrading my system. I can only afford so much at a time though so I’m trying to use what i have available is all

3 Likes

Pictures!

That helps alot, I’d say you can definitely use the 2 inch on top. But do you need to, can’t you fit all of your media in the 6 spool already? From my understanding, you don’t really want a gap in your media layers.

Also, nothing wrong with using what you got, I’d be doing the same thing you are. Saving money is always a good idea!

I’d say if your running two 4*48’s with crc, your gonna need a waaaaay bigger collection tank though.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you. I was thinking i could be recovering the first one as i run the next one and get the first column then use that pressure to push everything from the second one

What do you all think if this method for the molecular sieves? I think it should go well yea?