Cool new kava/kratom drink thing

Yeah I’m surprised it hits. I’ll normally use 15g for my teas and it’ll take the whole drink to feel a cool buzz. Works good long as I have a good batch of kratom. Seems to be a lot of variance in potency between kratom batches sometimes

2 Likes

Kava is similar to cannabis, different compounds that have different qualities. Kava is pretty expensive and can sometimes be low potency. Always thought it would be cool to concentrate and blend different varieties and see if there’s any room for improvement. If anyone has connections to kava farms I’d love to chat.

2 Likes

Dude I used to drink kava then all the sudden it started making my puke my ass off. Now if I even smell the shit I get sick to my stomach.

5 Likes

Glad to know I’m not the only one! I’m literally getting nauseous just thinking about it
And it’s been almost 20 years more like 18

2 Likes

I like Kava but there need to be good concentrates of it on the market. Using the powder is a pain. Who’s going to make kava distillate, that’s what I want.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Exactly. Let’s get some 90%+ TAK (total active kavalactone) extract out there… then no dealing with the nasty flavor or powder.

4 Likes

Could you elaborate on this? The only study I saw saying there was bad health effects was weak to say the least (didn’t even control for prescription medication use).

1 Like

I would totally be down to try kava any other way then making it the way that it’s normally made. But I’ve also tried the pills etc. Either through tea or just soaking it and then needing the ball, what have you. It’s really quite horrible tasting and the mouth numbness I think it’s what’s causing me more nauseousness now that I think about it versus the taste

It was an entire compilation of things now that I think about it and trying to articulate it. But it did offer effects that got me off of Xanax

I got some extract at natural grocers and it worked great. Just a dropper full, effect kicks in instantly and no nasty taste. The only problem is it was weak AF! Something with higher concentration is needed.

By the way has anyone else here tried the herb “Kanna”? You can smoke it just like weed, it really gets you high, and it tastes good. I mix it with bowls half and half some time. I would be interested to try extracts of it.

4 Likes

I’ve been using liquid kratom for pain lately, even tho the doc gave me some percocets… it is a life saver because without it I wouldn’t be able to work much at all, and it helps me not bitch about the pain(and not have as much pain)…
Haven’t tried the piper yet, but there’s a bar in nc that’s a kava bar….

2 Likes

There might actually be a reason for not concentrating kava lactones. One being hepatotoxicity, and two being bioavailability.
The root itself has other compounds which emulsify them to make them water soluble.

8 Likes

First Google link I found.

1 Like

That one’s a natural SRI. Try putting it in your lip like dip tobacco, feels like coming up on MDMA.

2 Likes

Yeah but come on, that’s “Addiction Center”. They have an equally spooky looking section on Marijuana saying it kills brain cells.

4 Likes

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=effects+of+kavalactones+study&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DS38fzUklXRIJ

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=effects+of+kavalactones+study&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3D6XXhIeFR9JAJ

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/kavalactones

I see no study there saying it’s worse than drinking, and in fact the only study that even tackled the comparison head on said the hepatoxicity was only seen in organic extracts not kava tea.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know you wanted that specifically.

Go talk to people that drink it every day, lol.

1 Like

Amitava Dasgupta, in Toxicology Cases for the Clinical and Forensic Laboratory, 2020

Herbs toxic to the liver

Most commonly reported herbal supplement causing liver toxicity is kava (Table 19.2). Toxicity after use of kava is mostly attributable to kavalactones where six kavalactones, methysticin, 7,8-dihydromethysticin, kavain, 7, 8-dihydrokavain, yangonin, and desmethoxyyangonin, account for approximately 96% of the total kavalactones. Commercial products are usually ethanol or acetone extracts, while traditional extracts used in the South Pacific have been water extracts. A major survey of 93 clinical case reports was conducted by the WHO in 2007 where 7 patients died and 14 patients had liver transplants. Eight cases were found to have a close association between the use of kava and liver dysfunction because the patients recovered on withdrawal of kava. Fifty-three cases were classified as having a possible relationship, but they could not be fully assessed due to insufficient data or other potential causes of liver damage. Ketola et al. reported a case of suicide due to overdose of kavalactones using i.v. injection together with administration of ethanol. The authors confirmed the presence of kavalactones in femoral blood using both gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (MS) and liquid chromatography (LC) combined with MS [9]. Regular consumption of kava has been associated with increased concentrations of γ–glutamyltransferase suggesting potential hepatotoxicity. Escher et al. described a case in which severe hepatitis was associated with kava use. A 50-year-old man took three to four kava capsules daily for 2 months (maximum recommended dose—three capsules). Liver function tests showed a 60–70-fold increase in AST and ALT. Tests for viral hepatitis (HAV, HBV, and HCV) were all negative as were the tests for CMV and HIV. The patient eventually received a liver transplant [10].

You’d be lucky to get that kind of a low rate among daily alcohol drinkers by a long shot, and as that paper I posted showed, these were organic extracts not natural kava in near 100% of cases.

Hell you can literally see the meta analysis by the WHO to see where the preponderance of evidence lies…

More hepatoxic than alcohol? Not by a long shot…

3 Likes