Conversion mechanics cbd--->?

Hello

Was wondering if anyone has some more analytical knowledge on what causes isomerization in cannabinoid systems. I’ve ran hundreds of experiments to this point and truly don’t understand some of the mechanics/chemistry at play.

1. water!? What’s it do and why? I’ve been able to hit 50-60% d9 in a VERY wet isomerization system (5+%). I haven’t noticed selectivity being a factor for d8//d9 with water up to a point. Although it seems that very high d9 requires water free conditions? Why is this? Is it true?

2. oxygen? What does it do? Everyone sparging with argon. I’m not arguing against your results. I’m just curious as to why people are using argon in both d8 and d9 systems? I’m guessing were theorizing that it makes less side reactions, but has anyone tested this empirically?

Thanks!

3 Likes

From my very limited “understanding” I believe oxygen (and the oxygen in water) allows the rxn to proceed to d8 at an accelerated rate by promoting the shift from d9. I initially thought while going for d8 this would just lead to a faster conversion/completion but I found that part of the rxn hauled ass to d8 while and in the extended time that it takes the remaining d9 to convert the initial d8 had further reacted/degraded to unknowns/contaminants. Therefore no water in the reaction allows for a more controllable path as more of the d9 can convert before the completed d8 in the mix has time to bust a move into the land of unknowns.

I have no idea if this is correct, but it makes sense from my testing, what I’ve comprehended from the “books with no pictures”, and I stayed at a holiday in express last night.

1 Like

Hmmm, interesting thought. And I can’t deny the high d9 from other people’s results. But just curious on a chemistry theory behind it