Consulting needed - Remove THC from crude with chromatography

Greetings.
We are a company in Sweden that are looking for consulting in removing THC from our hemp derived EtOH crude. Our government just classified CBD products with 0,2% THC narcotics… So we need to find a way to get it to 0%.

We know that people are doing it using chromatography. We dont know much about it though, but we want to learn. And we will pay for any knowledge, help & SOP.

Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

What volume do you need to process on a weekly basis ?

Around 5 kilos a week!

1 Like

http://interchiminc.com/hemp/Interchim_v13.mp4

11 Likes

Have you worked with it ?
Would you recomend it ?

2 Likes

Has anyone used this? I definitely need this

I’ve seen the Interchim units in use. They seem to work well, ours is shipping this week.

2 Likes

What stationary phase are you looking to utilize?

1 Like

What did they quote you on replacement cartridge costs?: I talked to them and Buchi and Buchi’s cartridges were roughly half the price of Interchim.

I think about $6k/column. Can do 100-120 runs on that though. All in remediation cost is about $450-500/kg input distillate.

The Buchi systems are tiny and from my conversations with them they don’t seem to have the auto sampling capability of interchim. We can run 24 hours/day as long as we have enough solvent and large enough reservoirs added.

4 Likes

What’s the price tag on the units ?

$50-60k

1 Like

Three vendors to look into:

Interchim
Buchi
Biotage

All of them have experience in the hemp market now and can talk with you about it to one degree or another. There is also CPC (centrifugal partitioning chromatography) which uses less solvent typically but is much more expensive for the equipment. Vendors there include:

Rotachrom
Gilson
Kromaton

4 Likes

Doesn’t CPC use more solvent but the benefit is to not replace column media?

Yes and yes

I’ve used both their 420 and their 800 model and was happy with the performance of both.

4 Likes

I’ve had Gilson tell me their CPC uses less solvent than Flash

1 Like

That’s definitely a plus. I had to knock a couple stars off of Interchim for failing to respond to emails. How have they been for you?

Just happened to have their literature near me

Interesting, I guess I don’t understand how that can use less solvent when both stationary and mobile phases are solvent!

Met with Buchi NA last week. They’ve got a few ready to ship. Really rate limited (1kg/24hr) compared to the Interchim 420 & 800 models. It would work for @enoah for your 5kg/wk. Buchi has an ELSD detector and a UV detector, where the interchim only has a UV detector and the buchi is really a higher quality unit IMHO. With the autosampler, it will run unattended. Cost was comparable to the 420, but be sure to get the autosampler and larger column options. Both use a C18 variant for column media (interchim’s is proprietary iirc). Water and Ethanol for mobile phase, acetone for column cleaning.

Plan on having a dedicated rotovap or two along for the ride. Use new ethanol for the remediation then purify and use in your extraction.

4 Likes