Colour Remediation....Why?

Hey guys,

So I have a couple questions about colour remediation that I’m hoping people can help me out with. Mostly just curious and can’t find any solid answers in past threads.

Why do you do colour remediation after ethanol extraction if your end goal is to make distillate? I assume its for people that use a short path and need help with pigment removal. I’ve been curious about this because, in my experience, the output colour from a wiped film is pretty consistent regardless of input colour.

Also, what’s the allure of colourless concentrates? i.e. why would people pay more for a more pale coloured extract if potency and flavour are unchanged…? I can see why people would pay more for extract made from better cured bud or something of the sort that will increase the quality. This sort of just doesn’t make sense…is it really just aesthetically pleasing and that’s it?

Most is esthetics but some is also potency and taste
On bho runs the crc makes the taste often fuller and smoother
On distillate it s potency and the ultimate goal is warm extraction with
Yellow or less crude

3 Likes

I don’t have much experience with bho extractions (I’ve done them just not industrial scale). So that part was more curiosity. You taste half with your eyes so that in and of itself will be a placebo, too.

Distillate tho…is the end goal for short path? It’s just that in my experience, if I do cryo ethanol extraction, I only recover the ethanol, decarb, then run through a wiped film. It comes out the same colour and as high or higher potency than CO2 derived distillate. I don’t see the need for colour remediation when a wiped film 2nd pass removes the pigments anyways.

Also, do you lose any of your yield through the colour remediation process?

1 Like

I don’t know a single experienced hash maker who “tastes with their eyes”…That color equals quality stuff is really for the custies

5 Likes

I was referring more to actual dining. Good presentation of the same food positively impacts consumer experience. Wasn’t being too literal lol

1 Like

Then that’s certainly fair enough hahah

1 Like

short path cuts a bunch of color out, but with adsorbents your results can be water clear.

2 Likes

26 Likes

I personally don t believe in lighter. Color beter product
But that’s me now if selling product is your wish then the lighter the color the faster and better sold
About loosing material cleaning up
The awnser is yes you loose
Depending on which powder and how well you flush them loses can be controlled but even transferring crude from vessel to vessel filter papers and risk of spills rise the more you work with it

1 Like

Thanks! That’s pretty much the exact answer I was looking for. I also don’t think it’s a better product, but it’s clearly desirable. Our distillate comes out a nice colour without it so we never considered it really…i just see so many people doing it that I figure I am missing something lol

Could a person theoretically skip the 2nd pass with properly remediated product? Based on some of what you were saying about what second pass removes I’d think the answer is yes. It might be about time consumption at large scale. Also, I imagine scaling up for remediation is cheaper than scaling up for distillation, but I might have that wrong. Just some thoughts.

Because it’s pleasing to the eye that’s why ha

If you get a good cut and carry over no volatiles there isn’t any reason you can’t make a good first pass. Most of the times I could pull off a good enough fractional distillation to get away with that.

3 Likes

I wasnt ever able to do it, but also didnt have many distillations under my belt, but I think with the right crude one could find the sweet spot where the loss of some main body to the heads and tails could result in acceptable single pass finished product

1st pass
2nd ever spd run
LOTS of help from here

I thought about doing a 2nd pass, but didnt want to mess it up.

And @beaker, his water clear was epic

10 Likes

Did you do any bleaching?

No
Cryo etoh wash
Filtered thru buchner funnel with celite 545 only.
Rotovap
Purge/decarb
Spd china glass, good mantle, under 200 microns.

5 Likes

Beakers water clear was at least 3 passes in the sublimator though

3 Likes