Co2 to preserve flower

When storing flower long term, will co2 protect or harm the carboxilic acids? Will co2 cause thca to stay in tact or will it still decarb naturally with time? Will thca decarb faster under a co2 environment?

I have heard of nitrogen sealing flower, not much about co2 though

1 Like

I’m just guessing here, but I think it should help preserve thca by eliminating oxygen from the atmosphere. CO2 can form carbonic acid with water, but that shouldn’t be much of an issue after dry and cure.

I have heard of food storage folks throwing a chunk of dry ice into a bucket or jar of dry food with the lid closed loosely to allow pressure to escape. Then once all the dry ice has sublimated, seal the container, trapping co2 in and o2 out.

3 Likes

Bout to blow up some buckets.

5 Likes

CO2 still has oxygen present - so it can become a reduction agent, which could then lead to excess O2 which could lead to oxidation. I assume you are trying to prevent the possibility of oxidation - so you’d want to get the oxygen out of the equation.

I haven’t done specific research with CO2 in this… as I always try to use Argon when sealing concentrates.

I did do some studies on nitrogen (saw no statistically significant different for non-nitrogen purged flower, temperature was more important than vacuum sealing or purging of bags with N2). So now I focus on making sure temperature are good (50-55F has been my sweet spot for energy efficiency and longevity). Doing this I’ve had things stay nice inside sealed containers for ~18 months. I tested potency, terpene levels, and color. The most notable changes were in color, but those were inconsistent as well.

Let us know if you do this - and please collect some data on it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you sure that CO2 can function as a reducing agent?

I know it’s not considered an inert gas like argon, but my rudimentary chemistry knowledge tells me it’s not the presence of oxygen bonded in the structure that makes it a reducing agent (with that logic, just imagine how scary salt would be), it’s the ability of the compound to give or take electrons (donates electrons in this case)

which could then lead to excess O2 which could lead to oxidation.

I’d love to know how the CO2 would break into Oxygen and carbon, they’re pretty strongly bonded.

I’d still use Nitro, but I call into question your logic here. How exactly is CO2 breaking up like that?

1 Like

Nitrogen N2, Argon or another noble gas would be Preferred, but CO2 blanket on the flower would reduce the amount of Decarboxylation and terpenoid oxidation. Another Key Factor to prolong shelf life is Temp and UV light, so cool dark containers would be key.

2 Likes