CO2 terp pulls and cleaning them up

Alright, long story short…

I’ve partnered up with a group for experimentation on moving CBD into a direction that will help these guys get a return on their equipment.

They are running CO2 and pulling terp fractions that smell EXACTLY like the strain. I was blown away by it. Problem being; murky, Semi thick (needs winterized, I know), and semi dark to honey colored. Definitely still containing lipids and fats.

They are averaging 20% terps, 40% CBDA, 0% total THC. Thanks to @Roguelab, he’s pointed me in the right direction using methanol/water mix to separate some of the color and the water soluble components. Just wondering if trying to go to water clear is even worth it?

We would like to refine it more (more like a disty clarity) but stuck. Never really messed with individual terp pulls (came from MJ side and hydrocarbon).

What are my options?

2 Likes

Your answer is probably good filtration
A. Filtercartridge of 0.2 um
Makes things a lot clearer
As for cleaning up color even the LLE are not as favarable for some watersoluble terps will be lost
Winterization first i would recomend
Pentane/acetone azeotrope
Acetone must be DRY so molsieves in the jug 24 hours prior to use and adding it treu a funnel with a epsom salt cake
Winterize the gunk out finalizing with a 0.2 um filtration then
Evaporate acetone/pentane /terps if at 5 C and vacuum condensor at least at -20C

3 Likes

Any specific company you prefer for filter carts? We are getting the paperwork from Sigma Aldrich in order (Christ on a cracker is it a pain)…

Or do you recommend someone else?

I got lucky at an auction with 2 pallets of cartriges from satorius but al the @FilterGuy @Filterguy1 @Filterman9
@filterguy88 probably have something

1 Like

At your volume even syringe 0.2 um should work

1 Like

If any of those fine contributors chime in, I’m buyin!:rofl:

We literally have a 55 gallon drums worth of it!

Wish you were here in the states @Roguelab. I’d send ya some of my hemp moonshine!

1 Like

Clear is not what we want. Refining something so it looks pretty doesn’t make it better. Keeping it more of a golden-sauce consistency will help weigh down some of those volatiles that are normally lost. So I think you should just get it to the point that it doesn’t cloud up the end product when you use it at 5 or 10% and go no further. As long as it doesn’t make the carts it goes into cloudy or dark there’s really no reason to aim for water clear in this case. Just my opinion

1 Like

That’s always been my thoughts. To me, it just shows that what you created is devoid of all the “goodies” that makes it… well… good.

It’s the public that pushes for it.

2 Likes

Ever tried adding a few gallons of heptane to the moonshine barrel and Maybe a bucket of salt
Checking back after a week ?

1 Like

Hi Plague, as Roguelab so nicely pointed out, we do have filter cartridges in the 0.2um range. Do you have a cartridge housing? You mentioned having 50 gallons of product, the recommended flow rate using a 0.2um filter is 3-4 GPM max per 10" length depending on viscosity. Since you have waxes present, you will also want to stair step down the micron rating to the 0.2um level as those contaminates will plug the 0.2um membrane pretty quickly. You want to even out the work load between a few different rated filters leading up to the 0.2um. Hope that helps, gregh@heyesfilters.com

1 Like

I have not. I’m an old schooler when it comes to shine. Just toss in some minor new tek to spruce it up a bit😁

1 Like

What types of pumps would you recommend?

I agree with step filtering. Was wondering if the methanol and alumina oxide winterization would work for the terps to pull most. If not, step filtering would by far be the best method that I could think of

What’s the volume on the terps
Not the moonshine terps

Do you mean total terp percentage?

Around 20-25 depending on the material. About 40% cannabinoids still (playing with the perimeters on that one).

My business partner just emailed you on what we would need

Thank you, Greg

1 Like

Hey @Filterman9 gotta number I can reach ya at? I’m ready to get this moving and see what else you’re offering.

Shoot me a DM