Co2 terp extraction

Any luck?

1 Like

Thanks.

we lowered our pressure to 1000 and pulled every 5 min, with the first 2 pulls looking the best. We have the chiller set at 60f. We can only set the temp for the extraction vessel - the sep. vessel temp is a function of the flow through from the extraction vessel. How high would you recommend setting the chiller?

5 Likes

I had my chiller/circulator set at 75Ā°F for Terpene pulls

Looks like youā€™re getting some good pulls!

1 Like

Thanks, gonna start bumping up the temps and see what happens.

1 Like

Just re-read your initial question as wellā€¦

Is your sep pressure still between 375-400? I always kept my sep pressure under 300 but above 250 - I would use oriface #15/16 for Terps and #9 for cannabinoid runs.

Hope that helps

1 Like

I need to check my notes on the sep pressure but i think itā€™s right around 300. Curios how you settled on the orrifaces - Apeks provides a 28 & 35 as part of their package. will changing the orafaces to your recommendations improve the results of terps/cannabinoid runs significantly?

thanks alot! this is the kind of nuances iā€™d like to begin exploring -really appreciate the community here. for terps we lowered our ext psi to about 1000, chiller at 75f and pulled at 5, 10, and 15 min and were surprised at how much better our terps looked. so far, after 15 min, more waxy material and will probably just pull at 15 min. thoughts?

1 Like

It sounds like Apeks has made some changes to their unit for the betterā€¦

I last worked on their 2015 model and had orificesā€™ from #1-18. I had to play around with the different sizes to achieve the desired target sep pressure for both the terp and cannabinoid runs. If your sep pressure is right around 300psi than it sounds like youre already good

Yeah but at that low pressure youā€™re probably not pushing liquid CO2 youā€™re only pushing gas so your yield might not be as good. I suggest getting closer to Super critical at like a thousand PSI. Definitely low temperature like 85 degrees to 88 degrees Fahrenheit.

800 psi is definitely liquid.

Edit: Provided itā€™s cold that is.

https://i0.wp.com/emersonclimateconversations.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/co2-post-3-figure-1.jpg?ssl=1

1 Like

Hello,

I am Terry from China manufacturer that has been specilizing in producing lab equipment, such as rotovap, SPD, chiller, supercritical co2 for extraction, molecular distillation and so on.
Just like the following picctures that show it in my factory.

if you have some questions or requirement, just DM me and tell me your email address, then I could help you.

Thanks
Terry

Yeah but I have heard that some of the stainless steel produced in China can leach into cannabis oil. Iā€™ve also heard thereā€™s some good manufacturers. That just depends I guess. I go with vollrath made in USA

Yes of course I was concerned about the temperature. If you have the temperature low enough youā€™ll have liquid.

Yes
For this product, there is not many manufacturer that could produce it; I am and could provide the certificate, also have been selling it to the customer from US; it must meet the standard.
As the manufacturer, our price is good and same quality with the product made in US.
Some companies probably buy it or parts from me and China, then sell them.
Because there is few manufacturers that could produce it in China

1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated.

@e3gordon We have a 5L apeks system, do you think I should lower the parameters? Or do you think those parameters carry over for the 5L system as well as the 20L.

What system where you running on? We have a 5L 2000psi transformer system from apeks. Iā€™m curious if you think those parameters are for our system or if they need to be tweaked. Iā€™m going to be doing some R&D tomorrow and Wednesday.

Run crc on ur terp frac problem
Solved

System size shouldnt matter if you keep the same parameters. I would test it out.
If you were to change anything I would say lower the minutes run time per pound if your systems flow rate is less than the 20Lā€¦

1 Like

Apeks 20L 2000psi Terp extraction parameter : set extraction column to 1165 psi
separator column 350-400 psi
15 mins per pound of material
Set chiller to 90 F that should translate to 30-32 F inside your separator column , that way when you harvest your terps it will be in liquid form . I run two 20L Apeks so iā€™m very well versed in the way apeks runs . Itā€™s also important to have the right orifices for the job

13 Likes

Looking Good:)

1 Like