Cls vapor lock

I just recently added a dry ice sleeve to my column, looking for better stability… now I am having an issue which I am almost certain is vapor lock…

From sight inside the collection pot there is no more gas to recover, even negative pressure in my pot… but I am consistently left with .75-1lb of liquid gas stuck/left in my column. Upon disassembly of the CLS the remainder of this left over liquid flows through the screens then into the pot… really stumped on what is actually going on here.

2 Likes

use n2 to break the vapor lock and force liquid out

3 Likes

like P2P said, use N2. Supply N2 thru the top of the column at a PSI higher than the collection pot PSI to push the remaining solvent thru the column. Burp the N2 out of the solvent recovery vessel vapor port to prevent back pressure.

2 Likes

I would do your n2 push before recovery. Not 100% sure what your making but you will have better color. Especially if your making crystal. I’d usually do a few pushes through to try to get most of the tang then close off and recover. You can always recover the rest after pour off if u wanted to get every last drop for crude or lower quality product (budder or something).

3 Likes

Been hearing people using argon instead of nitrogen because of the weight, anyone see why this would be a positive or negative move?

I can think of a couple reason it might be but none of them seem like strong enough reason to switch. but if argon is around or easy i would use it

1 Like

It is better at displacing oxygen, very expensive vs nitrogen. I have argon mantafolds set up for lab work, nitrogen for the loops.

3 Likes

When you burp it how do you know when you have stopped releasing nitrogen and started releasing solvent.v

if you are recovering into a vessel below 0C (for n-butane), most of the pressure you see will be nitrogen. if you’re below -20C, you’re pretty safe assuming all of the pressure is N2.

I still wouldn’t try setting it on fire.

2 Likes

Yep, if it’s cold it’s got no vapor pressure. Get em’ cold and burp them. Don’t burp it inside if there isn’t ventilation in place.

1 Like

even though n2 is an inert gas, it will still bond with hydrocarbons, Argon however, will not. even though its more expensive, it is also expensive venting butane/propane away with your added n2 pressure.

1 Like

If no access to N2, and im sure ill get roasted for this, ive had the same issue, so i load a regular column with no sleeve up, put in a tote and cover with dry ice for 30-45 minutes. Then connect back up and run. Mid run itll warm up closer to freezing instead of sub zero which will allow all the tane to flow out instead of having that last bit get stuck. Getting same quality as the runs ive done with a ice/iso slurry. So now my dewax sleeve column is a nice decoration.

1 Like

All the answers you want are here

1 Like

I know my meter said I was venting butane with my N2 when I used to vent my N2 (I prefer to recover it into a separate tank). To me that’s about vapor pressure of the hydrocarbon at the temp the venting is performed.

That vapor pressure doesn’t suddenly become zero the moment you drop below the boiling point.

Does the hydrocarbon vapor (partial) pressure change at a given temp depending on Argon vs N2?

Maybe, the ideal gas law says no, but we all know laws aren’t always in line with reality…

Assuming there is a measurable difference, because an N2 has enough attraction to Butane to occasionally drag it into the gas phase in a manner Argon could not, how does the $$ pencil out is the real issue.

You got data to solve that one way or the other? Know where to find it?

1 Like

Sniff the gas that comes out. Mostly N2 smells a little like butane. Mostly butane smells mostly like butane.

1 Like

if u prefreeze material on dry ice and push dry ice cold solvent w n2.over that u only need dewax material column for when ur getting wide columns like 6" or better or its summer months no ac
also they are great for crc.

mostly I use my dewax column if I’m wanting water thin terps . but I always incorporate dry ice

2 Likes

There is a change of pitch in the sound when butane comes out :ear:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

How does it dump upon disassembly and not while the collection has vacuum? Maybe its clogged with water and when it melts then it flows?

in process. argon is coming this week. testing theories.

Wait doesn’t cold chase colder? Can’t OP just use a bin with dry ice and denatured alcohol on the base to make it so the concentrate sucks down.