Clones or Fem seeds for first indoor/beginner?

Hey guys im super new to growing on my own. I have a little experience thiugh the process of cultivating as ive helped a buddy before with feeding and transplanting etc. But im deciding to finally take the step towards my own project. In light of this Covid thing i have some spare time and I’ve always wanted to have my own plants. Recently got a Mars tsw2000 board (300w, 450w equiv) and a 4x4ft tent. Was planning on going with soil and as organic as i can. Would like a first experience that isnt gonna flop due to my inexperience so i was wondering what you veterans would suggest? Seeds (looking at feminized) or clones (not sure where to get if even possible but this seems most compelling to me)?

Thanks for your time and help guys!
Stay safe out there :slight_smile:

1 Like

If youre looking for the best quality get clones.

If youre looking for a big yield go for seeds. I prefer regular to feminized but to each his own

Clones and seedlings are both very different and require different crop models. Do your research.

If youre feeling frisky do them both and see which responds best to your conditions and methodology. Personally i would go this route if i were you but I do everything the hard way.

5 Likes

What state are you in?

Im based in Maryland

Both sounds compelling to me but my funds are somewhat tight so that might be beyond what i can do for my first go? Im really green to this haha😬

Are you medical? How many plants can you have?

Im sure if you dont have access to plants where you are you can find them in DC theres tons of growers there

Clones quite often come with mites or other bugs. I got a wicked case of aphids from a tray of hemp clones. There were no live bugs when I got them, but then the eggs hatched.

5 Likes

Clones are great to get a jump on the grow season. But have their issues. You can bring in all the bad (pm, bugs, diseases) from prior grower. BUT are much much faster than popping a seed and hoping for a decent plant or a keeper. Then you need to watch out for hermies with plants frommseed. Not all chuckers/breeders are good.

Always quarantine any plant for 2 weeks NOT near your grown spot or garden. I rarely take in clones from growers. 1 not all growers have quality controll aspects in place. 2 not all growers are keen on using tried and tested females and makels to breed.

I could go on and on and on.

Imo, new growers should start with clones. I wish I did. It would have saved time (grow time).

6 Likes

Thank you that really helps, Did a little more research and I think im sold on the clone tip. Not currently a medical patient unfortunately and im not too keen on meeting a rando in a parking lot from some craigslist listing. Not really sure where to look so ill prob go with seeds if i cant get any clones soon. Are there some resources or marketplaces online you could recommend for either? You guys know your shit so ill differ to you. Mites and what-non are most unwelcome!

Great lakes genetics has good gear (seeds).
USA based.

Fem seeds
Seedsherenow.com has a very nice selection including Archive seeds who recently dropped a fem line with their Dosi if any are still available.
Radogear.com
Cannarado fems have treated many ppl pretty good.

If you’re growing for yourself an added joy could be had through phenohunting.

Most new growers have zero ideal on what a “keeper” actually is. Or even how to pheno-hunt a strain for said keeper. Shoot, most seasoned growers dont have the ability either.

5 Likes

If you can see, smell, taste, and smoke you’re at least 50% capable of phenohunting. Most newbies will find the learning curve on ipm to be more daunting in the case of taking home clones than hurdles of starting from scratch in the seed hunt. Doesnt hurt to learn IPM from the jump but a newbie trying to recover after bringing home herpes could be a tough one. No wrong way about it just input.

Yes but you are supposed to keep a clone of all of the plant, put that clones in veg, harvest the plants, and then mother the keeper… I think os not super Easy… At the begininng…

2 Likes

sometimes it takes a 2-3 runs to decide which is best depending on what you are selecting for .yield,taste,plant strength,resin production etc. keep an eye on your scissors when trimming. you may notice one sibling clogs up your scissors far faster than another etc so if yield and taste are near the same you might want to pick the one that clogs up your scissors more
which do people prefer here the pollen chucker seeds or more stabilized strains?
i always found pollen chucker seeds to be pretty good for finding stuff similar to the parents myself

We use to try a lot of open pollination stuff too… Sometimes you can find really good gear there too…
Pheno hunting Is really interesting, but for my experience Need to wait until, well cured herbs ready… To choose the right keeper…
Sometimes some plants are heavy in terps in preflowering and then lose almost everything at the harvest…

2 Likes

IMHO, seeds have the ‘unknown’ factor. With clones you should get (about) the same results every time. Clones are like hiring the same hooker twice… seeds are more like a glory hole, never know what’s on the other side.

2 Likes

Do NOT spend a ton of money on seeds. Idgaf what any fanboi tells you, no pk is worth more than $100 for a first time grower. You will not do them justice and a lot of the flavor of the month strains are genetic bottlenecks and will herm for any reason. You can’t find 1 person that found a keeper in crooked fams ‘candy rain’ at $500/pk. Go check out Bodhi’s gear and you will get quality packs at around 3 for 100. Typically buy 2 get 1. Torture those a bit then move up.

Another place to look is GreenPointSeeds. I’m sure I’ll get a bunch of moral fags shitting on GU for this post, and would argue some is valid. Regardless of his ‘ethics’ (a slippery slope to begin with) his gear puts out some heat

2 Likes

Oh greenpoint.

I popped some of their gear almost 2 yrs back. Posted my results on joke-it-up, and boy did you guys (not you specifically, unless you were one of the replies) not take it to well. If gear throws BALLS while still in veg, theres an issue 100%.

2 Likes

The stardawg crosses were nice but the polar bear og line was loaded with Caitlyn Jenners.

1 Like

Oh gps got btfo :100: with his S1s. Undeniable. His stardawg crosses seem to bring fire. I have issues w scheissenbubble and refuse to spend a dollar with them, but for beginners looking to have decent results, his sd crosses bring results.