Cleaning heating mantle

Ok so I have searched around and have not seen anything about cleaning your mantle.
Problem: boiling flask boiled over and some extract got into the space between the flask and the mantle. (A small gap, fire cord did missed it.) so now I have a spot in the heating mantle where it’s dark not burned . But what the best way to clean that.

1 Like

get an extension cord and put it outside
turn up to high and watch the smoke show as it burns clean
enjoy your new clean mantle

3 Likes

Damn really

My mantle is all screwed up. I did a light iso blotting to remove the majority and did what @downtheterphole said. It’s perma-black but I’ve ran it several times since and it still works. I’ll find the link real quick.

2 Likes

Ha did that and it went back to new, I didn’t spill that much but want to keep it as new as I can , thanks for the advice it worked perfectly. Any advice on cleaning a super burned beaker lol

3 Likes

Did not mean to come off as an asshole , I just hate seeing the word lazy, it’s lazy lol

Here’s a hopefully-not-too-off-topic question: I have a mantle I’m trying to repair. The heating wire is burned out, and I’ve seen accounts on how to see a new one into fresh fiberglass to start over. I have the glass cloth and high temperature thread, but am having difficulty sourcing single-stranded mica under fiberglass insulated heating wire. Anyone out there know of a source?