Cleaning dirty Dynalene through the Roto?

Just curious if anybody’s ever ran their Dynalene HC-50 through the roto to clean it up. We just had our pump replaced on our AI C30-40-50L recirculating chiller, and in doing so it dirtied up our chilling fluid into a cloudy orange/red. Apparently, using Dynalene HC-50 in the Across chiller voids the warranty.

Anyways, i drained all the Dynalene and am currently flushing the unit with 99% iso. I figured that while I’m here, i might as well clean up this Dynalene, but before doing something incredibly stupid i figured i might as well double check. Boiling point of Dynalene HC-50 is 118 C according to the MSDS, 40 degrees higher than ethanol. If i just ran my bath hotter, like closer to 90 C, i should be able to run this through the roto with no problem… right? Lol.

What’s the flash point of dynalene. It could work in theory, but I have no idea about the flammability of dynalene.

Also, you’re still probably going to have some issues, as I imagine dynalene 50 is 50% water.

Worth a shot if you’re confident that the vapor of dynalene is non-existent or non-flammable

I don’t have anything of value to add, but all of those synthetic heat transfer fluids are nasty and shouldn’t be inhaled - I would assume vaporizing it in a closed-loops system would make matter worse (once it the loop is open). I know its pricey, but your health may be more important than recovering that fluid.

1 Like

According to the MSDS, Dynalene HC has no flash point or fire point. I’m guess my main question is whether or not there might be some heavier components that’ll be left behind in the Dynalene.

I ended up calling Dynalene, and the tech wasn’t much help either. He didn’t know what a rotovape was, and when i explained to him the mechanics of roto-evaporation, all he told me was along the lines of “yea, if you’re trying to evaporate it, that’s not gonna work, because it’s just saltwater”.

At least i know it’s not toxic now… which makes me kinda wonder now why we paid so damn much for some salt water, lol. :man_shrugging:.

You’re not going to clean it up with distillation. Would be better to filter it through non lab equipment like a new household water filter or ditch it for new fluid.

1 Like

Could push it thru a membrane filter for water.

Dude just filter it. Don’t risk this.

1 Like

The fact that you would consider contaminating your Roto with some unknowns then put product through it later should be fairly worrisome.

2 Likes

I’m sure you can and will come up with a better solution.

Just replace it. Heat transfer fluid is a consumable, albeit a long lasting one. I would personally never reccomend putting anything in the business side of your gear that’s not product or a compound used in production, it’s not good lab practice.

4 Likes

Anybody know if you can add water to dynalene hc 50? It’s water based

You can dilute it, but that will effect its lower temp range.

2 Likes

Potassium formate based and has some magic (corrosion inhibiting) additives.

Yeah, it’s A salt.

Not NaCl though…

3 Likes

I’d bet a dollar the inhibitor is just some type of glycol

4 Likes