Clay remediation

How to use any tips

Possibly the largest spoon request on record.

https://future4200.com/search?q=clay%20

22 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

Omg I just literally died @raghanded
:skull_and_crossbones:
Someone inject knowledge and experience into my brain right now.

8 Likes

Definitely requires the biggest spoon. I’m still working my way through neverending topic officially, lol

1 Like

Are you asking how to clean your powders

2 Likes

His spoon is too big.

1 Like
4 Likes

Where do you find this shit man :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Lmao bet no one remembers this guy

11 Likes

Lmfao

Salad fingersss hahahahha

3 Likes

but first… let me caress this rustyyy KETTTTLE

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Holy shit I had NO IDEA anyone would know that one!

1 Like

I guess that what you want to do is to regenerate your clay. Right ?

What you have to do is exchanging the clay with sodium. This is generally refereed to as “sodium activation”. There are various way to do it, it seems the most popular way to do so is using a concentrated Sodium Carbonate solution. This is not exactly my field of expertise, you should look into the usual industrial practice Here are my “guess”

I think you could achieve that using a concentrated sodium solution (1 M), by stirring a slurry (liquid/solid ratio of 20 maximum) for few hours. And then separating the clay by centrifugation (easy in such brine, large bucket stuff at 4000 rpm for few minutes work well, even just time a normal gravity works ). Perhaps a second run would be necessary to achieve full sodium re-saturation of the clay “exchanger” (the basal surfaces off the clay platelets).

But then (or at the same time), I also guess you should get rid of the stuff possibly sorbed on clay edges (more tricky sorption sites) upon your extract processing (who knows what and how, I don’t thing there are any existing hardcore literature on such topic). To this end, you would have to expose your clay to a low pH solution (minimum pH 4, below you will start to partly dissolve the clay minerals). This will decrease the “force of attraction” of the edges sites towards many possibly sorbed stuffs (e.g. metals) and protons will easily replace them. It seems that using H2SO4 is the industry standards. I guess it is also intended to partly dissolve the clay and expose more “active” edges…

And then, you may also need to clean up the clay from such process (remove excess brine and acid). This can be achieved by iteratively washing in low concentration sodic solutions (e.g. 5 mM NaCl), and a final polish using pure water. There you achieve pure re activated clay. But at those low concentrations, you need high centrifugal forces (above 10k rpm using large centrifuges) to separate solid from liquids at each steps. I don’t know how this is achieved at industrial scale. At small scale (just few kg max), it is pretty tedious and it needs a very good centrifuge.

I hope that this helps.

1 Like

Hahaha almost 30, I remember all that dumb Ebaumsworld crap
:rofl:

1 Like