Chiller suggestions for Roto ?

Can someone suggest to me what is the best solution to cool the condenser on a 20L roto ?

Right now I’m just using a water reservoir with ice which is miserable. What cooling solutions can I use to keep the condenser cold and keep it hold for hours while the hot vapors are liquefying?

Someone suggested a -80C chiller with a big reservoir. I got a quote for China for one for 8k before shipping or tarrifs

Which is much cheaper. I would like to go cheaper route, however I want to get the right tool that works

I’m all ears to suggestions

Edit: I know I said I want to go cheaper route but I’ll buy the right tool even if it’s on the pricy side. Will take any chiller suggestions

best solution is to match your cooling to your heating.

how much heat are you throwing at the problem?

1 Like

You need a chiller with about 2-3 tons of cooling for the 20L.

1 Like

the IP -100 has almost no cooling power at -80 it only has 35W, they are great units just not ment for large active loads.

building a glycol chiller out of an old AC unit is probably your cheapest bet.

4 Likes

Anywhere from 90-120C

And overall I’ll take any chiller suggestions

Lauda is solid. I’ve got a 4600 for my 50L
You could go smaller and you don’t have to program it down to -10C
Set it to 0C and it will condense very well.
Double or single condenser?

If you go cheap you can always do a stainless coil in iso/dry ice dunk at condenser inlet (after the chiller thermo).

2 Likes

There’s a LAUDA 4600 on eBay for $6k right now

Those are temperatures.

You need to match energy in to out.

You need watts, ergs,HP, calories, joules, or Btu to compare.

Edit: “tons” works for cooling, but I’ve never seen the conversion for heating

Check the plate on the side of your rotovap…

1 Like

VWR 1179 with turbine pump. U can find them used for good $. Same as a polyscience.

I spent a total of $650ish on a chiller that’s made from a fuel tank I insulated the daylights out of and mashed up with a 25.5k btu window ac unit- gets down to -30c can run it all day, temp never gets above -8c even under heavy load for hours.

Check thread pretty much all the data is there, if I ever need to cool a different system than my rotovap I just drop another submersible pump in and run lines.

2 Likes

ive read that turbine pumps can have enough pressure to burst glass coils, if you cant regulate and dial the pressure back.