Chiller for 100# solvent tank and 12x28 collection

What chiller would one need to run this passive?
Also what is the price?
Will a diy ac chiller work for this?

The right chiller depends on the solvent & your goals.

with butane you can do passive with just ice water.

to do it well, you probably want to be much colder.

most folks killing it are aiming at dry-ice/liq CO2 temps (-80C or so). They’re also using often using blends.

you won’t get there with a DIY chiller hack unless you’re up for building a cascade system. I couldn’t get the local refrigeration guy to even look at the cascade in a -80 Freezer.

you could probably achieve joy with something along the lines of a DSLB 30/80 (probably get your solvent to -60 or so). the last one of those I purchased from touchscience cost me about $11k at my door after shipping and customs fees.

the right used neslab off ebay might get you close for $2k.
or it might turn into a paper weight in short order.

The DSLB’s also have a reputation for landing DOA, so you might want to spend more on a chiller that you can return if it doesn’t work, and is less likely to fail. lots of data on chillers around here, and some real experts at running passive…

do some reading. and define the problem better if you want a useful answer

4 Likes

What size chiller is recommended for having the proper amount of chiller fluid circulating through the jacket of a 100#solvent tank and a 6x48 winterizing column?

2 Likes

The tagging sytem on here is retarded at best.
It makes you select 3 tags out of this tiny list of tags and none of them related. So ya, butane extraction

1 Like

That is my question also

1 Like

Yeah, insisting on three only works if folks see the search…and create.

I didn’t build it.

3 Likes

I don’t believe that’s the right way to look at it. The size of the reservoir usually scales with the chiller capacity, but all else being equal (pumps mainly),
it is the cooling capacity at your target temperature in kW that you need to look at.

3 Likes

slabby,

We typically need to understand how many gallons of solvent you are cooling (typically ethanol) and what temperature you need to cool it to (typically -40C or lower). And keep in mind, if you need -40, you’ll need a chiller capable of much lower (-60, -80, -100) - the bigger the DeltaT, the quicker you can pull down solvent temperature - it’s the difference between waiting minutes or hours for the solvent to cool.

once we understand the overall cooling capacity and cooling rates needed, we can begin to size a chiller for you.
Chillers that can reach the temperatures you need are either mechanical-compressor based (cascade chillers) or Cryogenic based (LN2).
Compressor based systems are more expensive systems, much larger footprint but do not use expendable coolants (i.e. liquid nitrogen). They do require very high voltage power (ex. 400v, 50amp, 3 phase). Typically anywhere from 40k to 200k to purchase a chiller like this.

LN2 systems are much cheaper to buy (30 to 40k) are much smaller in size and use less electricity, but use expendable Liquid Nitrogen. These systems are the lowest temp systems offering the largest DeltaT and therefore the quickest cooling times.

You can learn more here:

and if these prices haven’t scared you away, feel free to send questions directly to our applications team: info@thermonics.com

Good Luck.

4 Likes

Idk how many gallons 48lbs of butane is but thats the size of the tank

10 gal

I’m looking for a chiller of a similar capacity. Was there any conclusion to this thread?

Nope. This is for a 6x48 column size. So this would be a bigger chiller then you need.

Yeah was kinda counting on that lol. Was just going to go a bit smaller

Are you using chillers for dewax and recovery?

1 Like

We dont use chillers

At all?

Dry ice, alcohol and mag driven pump is good for on demand chilling.

1 Like

Funny you say that. I was just looking at this option now.

Do I need a pump rated for cold temps or anything special like that?

Either try and see or use the one @Dred_pirate used in the past

2 Likes

No we run an injection coil in a dry ice slurry for injection. Collection pot stays warm.
Our recovery coil is in the same dry ice slurry.

1 Like