Cheap temporary recovery pump

Alright guys I’m needing to replace my piece of shit cmep-ol, as we all know constantly rebuilding this shop stool and having downtime in between.

Was looking at getting a CPS Trs 19 or trs 21?

Loooking to spend $4-1000 on a cheap recovery pump to use while my others get rebuilt. Any comments or suggestions on the trs or possibly a cheap anti spark/spark proof that will just do the job for less.

I should have a 19 back up on my shelf in storage, pm me if your interested

I’ve always had good luck with the trs21, feel your pain on the cmep. Mine is getting fixed right now.

Expect about double the recovery time of the cmep. I have mine rebuilt every 4-6 months after about 300-400 hours of run time.

1 Like

How much time you think it would take to recover 25-35 lbs of solvent?

Are you rebuilding yourself or taking it somewhere?

I used to run a trs 21 300-400hrs per month. The pump hated it but it would always recover, rebuilt or not. I had to rebuild my cmep every other week it seemed like

1 Like

A little over an hour, depending on line size and pressure.

Haven’t had one fail to recover yet!

1 Like

You don’t rebuild the cmep in-house?

2 Likes

I do not, I’m the only guy running extractions at the grow I’m at. I’d love to but don’t have the time between that and helping out the growers.

2 Likes

Really doesn’t take much time at all to diagnose the problem and order the parts within a couple hours at most.

Wait for parts to arrive.

When the parts come in, put them on , piece everything back together, pressure test the pump.
should be good to go within 1-2 hours from the time you start.

Pro tip: I paid the pump mechanic extra to teach me at bhogart years ago because I was sick of waiting upwards of 2 weeks to get my cmep back.

2 Likes

I have a lightly used trs21 i can sell. Has the 3/8 head upgrade from XD

1 Like

Its literally about half the speed of the cmep. Another thing is the trs runs hot. Making you spend more in dry ice. Ie you will need the same amount of dry ice to recover 40lbs using the trs as the cmep recovering 80lbs.

1 Like

sooooooo true

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to start doing that, I’m getting really tired of this waiting game with the pump shop. Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

You are welcome. :call_me_hand:

I have more of a question than an answer. Out of curiosity. Why do recovery pumps need to be rebuilt so frequently compare to say. Hydrocarbon refrigerant compressors. I’m sure there is a good amount of volume difference. But, these compressors are designed to run for years, holding hydrocarbons in your kitchen.

1 Like

Because we abuse the shit out of these recovery pumps.

At 1 point in time I had 4 cmep-ol pumps running pretty much 24/7 minus the downtime for maintenance

1 Like

I realize they might be “abused”. What I dont understand. Is why you can have a pump, pumping isobuatne or propane for 5 years and not have a seal wear out. Yet the recovery pumps we use can eat up a seal in a few hundred hours.
I havent done any hard research mind you. It just throws up some quick red flags to look into down the road.

1 Like