CBNA in Distillate

Have seen what I thought to be cbd quinone made on old short path runs that had vac leaks but that’s it. Distillate has that tails look and when crashes , crashes purple @Kingofthekush420

2 Likes

Crashes purple?

That’s dope. I bet that’s a beautiful crystal

Is the structure any different then the structures cbd can make?

I have some gota search rhe drawers but Yes purple crystelizes more like thca rocks purple/burgondyred is the color and fairly translucent

1 Like

It’s only small amounts being made but it made the blocky THCA like crystals vs the normal barrel or needle like shape.

Always looked more gross then anything, would crash some of the distillate along with crystals due to the amount of impurities. Once rinsed you could pull some decent purple crystal though

This would happen when i first started making cbd 4-5 years ago now. Proper vac depths and never seen it since

2 Likes

My method for cbn with oxigen and uv makes it fast and at good/somewhat yield 70-80% takes 10 days thou

3 Likes

Here are three separate results. I’m not sure if same crude or not.

Only thing that catches my eye immediately is the small amount of D8.

you likely are not going from CBN to CBNA.

Yeah I really don’t think so either. I was more wondering what kind of degradation this could be?

@Dabatronicus Purple? This is a different batch by them. Definitely taught me a whole new meaning to crude.

1 Like

Do you notice how both test have almost similar ranges.

This means thier machines are picking up either d9 or a as a compound rather they might be a fools gold. And that fools gold isn’t calibrated to thier machines.

I would look more thoroughly at the peak which was integrated as “CBNA” and see if its truly characteristic of CBNA or if its just a misidentified compound. Long story short, I’d put the money on incompetence at the testing lab.

1 Like

Have them pull out the center spinner or turn it off for this process…raise temps past main body. Then drop temp to main body. And discard everything before. To push fools gold out you sometimes need to pass the distillation cusp. You might get a bit of main body there…but that’s how you get the fools gold out.

1 Like

That purple color reminds me of crude that has a high pH. I have heard high pH in the still pot tends to lead to the formation of d10-THC.

I’m still kind of baffled it’s on their testing panel to begin with. Has it ever been observed “in the wild”?

this guy seems to have similar levels of cbna on his coa too

1 Like

I’m going to run a sample of the crude myself and then get it tested with steep hill. They have a CBNA standard. Then I will send the same sample to this lab here to compare. Again, not that I think it is CBNA, but this should help prove that it isn’t.

If they’re running the same method, they’ll get the same result. I wouldn’t say it’s meaningful to get it retested. What you really need to do is isolate the supposed CBNA and get an NMR done on it.

I think it’s cbnd, you’re making cbd into cbnd how thc gets made into cbn if you isomerize (which he did) then your cbd would convert to d8 and cbnd. Anytime I made d8 from thc I’d always get some cbn, why can’t you get cbnd if you isomerize cbd?

1 Like

I’ve always wondered if this compound was able to account for the psychoactivity attributed to CBN. I didnt notice any effects of CBN at all when I tried it.

This old paper claims that photochemical conversion of CBD produces the compound CBND up to a purity of about 50%.

@Roguelab weren’t you reaching about 50% CBN with your early photo conversion experiments? Was there any psychoactivity in your samples?

https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(77)80023-X

Yes but I atribute that to the large amount of thc for that s always been my starting material :joy:
But intersting :pray:

2 Likes

I have never even seen a COA in Fl where they tested for CBNa. Also I don’t see CBDa turning into CBNa i would have to agree with @Kingofthekush420 that the peak is more likely to be CBNd only becuse that is a more natural pathway for CBDa. There is a chance that CBDa could be converted to THCa and then there is a pathway to CBNa using heat. I dont think that second option is very likely here unless youre doing some type of CRC that is adding and subtracting hydrogens and manipulating your extract.

1 Like