CBNA in Distillate

Hi everyone,

Here is an issue that I am stumped on.

One of our hemp/CBD customers is consistently coming back with test results claiming relatively high (5-10%) CBNA. First off, CBNA seems like a total oxymoron. How can we get essentially a degradation product, but still have the carboxylic acid group? I have not seen CBN higher than 4-5% in a normal distillate sample. Also, CBN and CBNA are barely or not at all in the crude.

This oil is largely decarbed on their pinnacle stainless rising film during solvent recovery. When running in the spinning band, the decarbing is visually minimal. As far as the run data shows, there was nothing abnormal about the distillation vacuum or heat wise.

I will come back to post whatever CoAs I can.

What do you guys think? Is this a misidentification or a patent that needs to be figured out?

1 Like

I get 1-4% CBNA a lot from my THC distillate. I always thought it to be d10.

2 Likes

That is interesting.

What bothers me is that the starting material is CBD. So a decent chunk of CBD is going to THC first, then to CBN? Then to CBNA?

D10 or some other cannabinoid isomer seems really likely to me.

Who is even testing for CBNA? Besides synthesis, under what circumstances could this form? i wasn’t aware commercial standards were available either.

3 Likes

We have been seeing something similar with our distillates, we have just been assuming it is another cannabinoid with a similar retention time.

1 Like

This is where I’m at… CBNa in nature, or average processing conditions… not likely

1 Like

I’m willing to bet you’re making cbnd if anything

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4NEJkbhISB/?igshid=1avqyn2q1m7o5

Theres no way youre getting that much isomerization to thc and then making it into cbn

Is the final product psychoactive at all?

Cbnd is reported to be 5x the psychoactive of d9

To make d10 you’d have to make thc first then convert it, also if you’re making d10 you’re pulling hydrogen which means there’s the potential to make cbn also. After you pull 2 hydrogens and create the second double bond the reaction has reached the peak of its energy requirement which means its easier to make the 3rd double bond

I wonder if it could be cbd quinone or something

1 Like

Have seen what I thought to be cbd quinone made on old short path runs that had vac leaks but that’s it. Distillate has that tails look and when crashes , crashes purple @Kingofthekush420

2 Likes

Crashes purple?

That’s dope. I bet that’s a beautiful crystal

Is the structure any different then the structures cbd can make?

I have some gota search rhe drawers but Yes purple crystelizes more like thca rocks purple/burgondyred is the color and fairly translucent

1 Like

It’s only small amounts being made but it made the blocky THCA like crystals vs the normal barrel or needle like shape.

Always looked more gross then anything, would crash some of the distillate along with crystals due to the amount of impurities. Once rinsed you could pull some decent purple crystal though

This would happen when i first started making cbd 4-5 years ago now. Proper vac depths and never seen it since

2 Likes

My method for cbn with oxigen and uv makes it fast and at good/somewhat yield 70-80% takes 10 days thou

3 Likes

Here are three separate results. I’m not sure if same crude or not.

Only thing that catches my eye immediately is the small amount of D8.

you likely are not going from CBN to CBNA.

Yeah I really don’t think so either. I was more wondering what kind of degradation this could be?

@Dabatronicus Purple? This is a different batch by them. Definitely taught me a whole new meaning to crude.

1 Like

Do you notice how both test have almost similar ranges.

This means thier machines are picking up either d9 or a as a compound rather they might be a fools gold. And that fools gold isn’t calibrated to thier machines.

I would look more thoroughly at the peak which was integrated as “CBNA” and see if its truly characteristic of CBNA or if its just a misidentified compound. Long story short, I’d put the money on incompetence at the testing lab.

1 Like

Have them pull out the center spinner or turn it off for this process…raise temps past main body. Then drop temp to main body. And discard everything before. To push fools gold out you sometimes need to pass the distillation cusp. You might get a bit of main body there…but that’s how you get the fools gold out.

1 Like

That purple color reminds me of crude that has a high pH. I have heard high pH in the still pot tends to lead to the formation of d10-THC.

I’m still kind of baffled it’s on their testing panel to begin with. Has it ever been observed “in the wild”?