CBG Distillation Bubbly

I’ve been running distillates for a few years now. I just had buddy bring me CBG crude processed with cold ethanol extraction. Starting level COA listed as 45.6%.

When I get to around 180°C it starts to very rapidly bubble and climbs right to the neck of the boiling flask. I’ve let it run right at that threshold for over 2 hours with little change. There is a very slow dribble into my head, but not really any obvious reflux on the vigruex.

Setup is a 2L SPD with a precision D-25 pump (.9cfm, .1micron).

Anyone have experience with this?

So, I just said to hell with it and pushed on temp. Boiling did not breach the neck, but stayed at that level for quite a while even as fraction collected.

So is this common with CBG or do I need to speak with extractor to find out what methods he is using?

when CBG crude is free of solvent it rocks up pretty bad, the phenomenon you are experiencing happens because the vapors cannot escape the crude as the viscosity is way low and surface tension is high, so it foams up. We call this muffining.

The way to get around this is to Increase the heat. When you increase the heat, viscosity rises, everything melts, and it becomes much much easier for the vapors to escape the organic matrix and saves you from bumping.

hope this makes sense and helps you out!

8 Likes

Yep, makes sense. I kinda had a feeling this was the case, as I noticed how what was left in original packaging that was spilled during delivery turned solid pretty quick.

Thanks!

1 Like

honey is viscous
water is not.

heating crude decreases the viscosity.

other than having viscosity backwards, I think your explanation is sound…

4 Likes

My buddy back in the day tried to make his Xbox live name Vicious Timmy , but was instead stuck with Viscous Timmy.

8 Likes

good 'ol Slow pouring Tim :rofl:

4 Likes

did i get that mixed up? lol I totaly did rofl!!!

thanks for the correction @cyclopath

2 Likes

CBG allegedly has a much lower boiling point than CBD or THC. I’ve seen charts showing somewhere between 120F-130F. Not sure if this could be relevant to your process.

Edit: Added “allegedly”