CBG Crystallization Threshold

I have been unable to find a definitive answer for the concentration at which CBG begins to crystallize. I’ve heard the threshold for CBD is anywhere between 42-45% depending on what else is in the solution/crude. Any ideas or testimonials from others who have experimented with preventing CBG crystallization? Also thought Id mention this is not a cartridge/smokable formulation, the product that I am working on is intended for ingestion.

1 Like

It depends on the solvent, on the presence of other solutes, and on the temperature. The solubility of pure CBG in pentane at room temperature is below 1%. It is 28-30% in most edible oils.

2 Likes

So theoretically if I have 70% CBG input and combined that with MCT to reach max solubility, maybe 30% going off of your numbers, then would the other portion of CBG still have the ability to crash the dissolved CBG out of solution?

Your question is not very clear. :thinking:

If you have a 70% CBG concentrate and want to have a 30% concentration, you got to dilute it 2.33 times.
If you don’t add enough diluting oil, you will get a mixture of ~30% cbg oil and cbg crystals :man_shrugging:

The non dissolved CBG cannot crash more CBG below the saturation point.

2 Likes

I was worried about that, I’m not exactly sure how to word what I’m trying to ask. What I am trying to ask is for example if I have 1g of CBG Crude at 70% which I add 1g of MCT to, then to my understanding I would have ~1.3g of 30% CBG MCT solution as well as 0.7g of undissolved crude at a certain concentration of CBG. The concentration of the undissolved crude portion is what I’m concerned with, from my assumptions of how this works I would assume there would be a remaining 400mg of CBG in the 0.7g of crude or ~57% CBG. The end goal of this is to prevent crystallization with the lowest amount of MCT possible. I’m hoping that if I can get the undissolved crude portion to below the crystallization threshold I will be able to prevent it from crashing. This brings up other considerations because I’m sure some of the non CBG molecules in the crude will occupy some of the solubility capacity of the MCT. I am not very experienced with the chemistry concepts/equations behind solubility so any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

It is not that much clear… but I believe I get your point.

Is your CBG concentrate already crystalized ?
I was dealing with pure CBG, but it may be possible that other components of the concentrate could play some role. If so, it would rather go in the other direction as you think, it may increase the solubility of CBG in the whole mix.

It all depends on the total composition.
The best you can do is doing your own test with your product. Produce a “supersaturated” solution (i.e. using a deficit of diluent, mixing both hot enough to be fully miscible) and let it crystalize. Then analyze the supernatant and you will know what is the saturation point of your total mixture.

1 Like