CBD extraction potency %

Hi there,

I have a question regarding purity and % potency from a CBD extract – let me explain the question.

I have a CBD strain with a potency of 10%, what would the outcome be if I smashed it (eg Nugsmasher) to extract the resin, what would the potency % possibly be versus a solvent-based extraction? And secondly, can the resin be used directly in balms, and other topicals?

Many thanks,

Sounds like you are asking about the potency of oil extracted with solvent vs the potency of oil extracted by heat/pressure. And the answer is, there are tons of variables that can affect this.

In short, if you are looking for sheer efficiency and potency, use solvents.
Sounds like that is what you are looking for if you are going to be using it for infusing balms/topicals.

And any oil you want to use in a balm or topical will need to be activated, or decarboxylated, first. This can be done by heating it for extended periods of time.
So, no, you do not want to use oil right after it is extracted to infuse products. Gotta decarb it first.

1 Like

Rosin pressing yields are severely strain dependent. My understanding is that the actual structure of the trichomes plays a significant role. Strains vary on the ratio of trichome stem to head, and the thickness of the wax layer, or so I’ve been told.

1 Like

thank you for your reply.

2 Likes

thanks for the response :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would not expect squishing 10% flowers to be a joyful experience. squish works best when fed trichomes. 10% flower isn’t exactly bursting with those.

depending on your desired scale, and religious preferences (solvent agnostic vs must be solvent free), you will likely be better served extracting with an alcohol.

if you don’t need food grade (it rubs the lotion on it’s skin), then starting with isopropanol isn’t unreasonable.

5 Likes

great, thank you.