Cbd Crystallization?

Cbd Crystallization?

High everyone, this is my first post on here so bear with me. I’d like to say I am COMPLETELY aware of cbd crystallization but do have a few questions.

I’m working on a small project using two different materials separately that range from 83% - 92% Cannabidiol Distillate (Crystal) and 83% purity Steam Distilled Hemp Terpenes.

I’m using a hot plat with digital temp that I range from 120-180f. The distillate melts beautifully and has great color.

The material amounts I’m using are roughly 0.4gs of (92%) Distillate and 4-5 Drops of Terpenes.

My method is to warm the distillate in a half dram vial to 180f then drop it down to 160f. Add the 4-5 drops of Terpenes mix and let sit for 5 minutes at 160f.

I let the vial and mix rest off the hot plate to cool. It will Not crystallize at this point. I even put it into my refrigerator at which it still did not crystallize. I heated the mixture to 100f then dumped into a .5ml glass cartridge. Within 30 minutes the cartridge is completely crystalized.

I’m curious to why the oil mix will not crystallize in a refrigerator within a vial but will crystallize at room temperature in a cartridge?

Any help understanding this would be great.
Also any recommendations regarding crystal prevention. Thanks!

Just to clarify,

Your post is about Unwanted Crystallization Of your blend. Correct?

And you are using CBD in isolated crystallized form and terpenes as your starting point?

There could be a higher chance of crystallization inside a cartridge because of higher surfaces potentially helping nucleation. Also, even a single small crystal could start the process.

I would probably stay under 55% volume CBD in your blend, to lower the risk of crystallization.

Also, are you using a turbo emulsifier or homogenizer or sonicator to homogenize your mix? This will also help you.

1 Like

Thanks for your response!

As for the Distillate, it is not isolated but highly refined and pure. But either way it’s plus 90% so very easily crystalized.

I think you’re right about the cartridges surface area helping the process also having one single crystal start the process.

If I refill a used cart (with crystalized cbd left in it) it will be crystalized very quickly but a brand new cart will take much longer to do so.

If you have a turbo emulsion homogenizer or a sonicator you should try to make a good long emulsion and then fill some of your cartridges to see what happens.
Eventually, there will be a chance of crystallization but if it gets you maybe 4-6 months shelf life it could be considered acceptable for you?

1 Like

Anything could’ve caused crystallization. A speck of dust as you transferred it to the cart. A scratch in the glass of the cart ect…

Try this tek at a little higher temps so it decarbs and won’t crystallize.

This may be a dumb question… but being distillate isn’t the oil already decarbed?
Can this be done twice?

2 Likes

Those tools are sweet, I wish I had one!
Thanks for the info. Would a magnetic stirring heating plate do the same?

You are correct about decarboxylation.

I’m not trying to do your books or anything but if that isn’t too much money, you can find a homogenizer In the used section of ebay for 200-300 dollars. There are plenty of ika, fisher, vwr and other brands. (I would pick a known used brand over a brand new noname asian).

A stirrer won’t do the job.

But i would run this process slightly warm (enough to not ruin/evap your volatiles).

2 Likes