CBD and CBD-V

Hey all,

Been doing some work on CBD carts, testing some different ones. Had a top fill that showed increasing discoloration on the bottom. After a couple weeks I drained them and took them for potency and heavy metal analysis.

These were made with CBD isolate, does anyone know of a metal that might catalyze a rearrangement from CBD to CBD-V?

The levels were low but definitely higher than the COA on the CBD indicated. The isolate was 99.98% or some such, I guess the V could be that 0.12%…

I dunno about a catalyst chopping carbons off like that, more likely the batch wasn’t consistent with it’s COA, and the discoloration is just oxidation. I don’t think cbdv is significantly darker than cbd

Testing labs are notoriously bad at testing high purity isolate, so I’d look at all COA reporting 99%+ as roughly equivalent. You can try sending the same samples a couple different times to same lab over a couple months to see if they say the same thing

99.98% is achievable for production and testing, but highly unlikely. Everything must be measured perfectly and even then there is pipetting error to account for, balance error, standards error. Likely the COA simply wasn’t reliable.

So I filled the carts with iso and terps. Color changed and I was immediately suspicious.

We emptied the carts and just tested the mix. Came back @ 1 mg / gram. That was in the iso/terp, that means that cartridge must be just packed with lead.
Don’t buy cheap carts!

How is that evidence of lead?

discoloration is no more evidence of lead than it is of CBDV.
nothing short of changing the genetics of your starting biomass is going to give you CBDV.

1mg/g CBDV? that’s 0.1%, and totally consistent with 99% CBD.
it’s also appropriate for standard CBD genetics.

is it significantly different than what you found in the carts?
(shouldn’t be).

1 Like

Lead not cbdv. And the discoloration was on the bottom of a supposedly sealed top fill cart. Wherever the oxidation occurs it usually involves some type of air exposure.

I was not specifically looking for lead, I just went with my gut feeling that something was wrong.

Also, I misread. The lead content was 1 mg / kg. But that was in the CBD removed from the Chinese carts after 2 weeks.

The cbdv in the report was unexpected. Hence discussing it here.

Sometimes, when you get unexpected results, you do testing to protect your consumers.

1 Like