carbon scrub. help

i scrub some ethanol extarcted crude that was extract fairly warm -15c. the solution was dark red. when i filter thru a patty of carbon about 1-2 inch thick. it did took forever to filter. the solution came out really light almost water did i lose alot of my thc there. i did pour two cups of ethanol and didnt seem to get anything out

2 Likes

can you walk me through how you filtered it? how long did it actually take to filter?

prolonged exposure to the carbon certainly degrades cannabinoids

1 Like

Did it look like this below?!

If so, it’s pretty normal from what I’ve seen. You may lose a bit of potency (thc). Some say you can rewash the carbon party and scavenge some lost thc.

Below is after I messed up and got quite a bit of green (chylorphyl) Into my “liquid gold” (ethanol extract).

1 Like

evap the ethanol and answer the question yourself? assuming you have an expectation for how much THC you should produce.

you were trying to make the color go away. you did that. without way more details, we really can’t even guess at what you’ve achieved.

that 1-2" thick filter bed could be 24" in diameter (based on hardware specifically sold to this industry for filtration) for all we know.

you may have started with 100g of THC or 10,000g or 10g.

did you use vacuum to assist the filtration? that will generally speed things up considerably.

1 Like

prolonged exposure to acid activated charcoal with heat is sometimes used to deliberately isomerize various cannabinoids, but filtering over the bed described at -15C or even 0C should not degrade anything. even leaving it there for a week imo.

adsorb? sure.
degrade? not so much.

3 Likes

Key distinction here

Degrade implies some type of reaction has occurred - a reaction being the rearrangement of electrons or change in configuration (same atoms but different connectiveity). The point being the reaction changes a compounds state - wether that is gaining or loosing or sharing electrons or different arrangement of atoms or different connectivity of atoms (constitutional isomers or stereoisomers). These changes (reactions) can be causes by radiation, oxidation/reduction, or acids.

Adsorbing doesn’t involve changing the state of the compound, the compound just gets locked up in some porous material.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction.

I read it as he scrubbed his solution that was extracted at -15c. Not that he filtered at -15c.

1 Like

:+1: your interpretation looks as valid as mine given the details in first post…

dark and red****

@sunny
Can i ask if you weighed the carbon before making the slurry? I’m on the other side of the spectrum from you, i mixed 3% carbon dry into crude then mixed 1,5:1 heptane/crude and filtered through a slow filter with 1/4 inch de (dry packed) and a 25 micron filter on that to disperse the liquid. I found that it didn’t pull as much color as i thought it would. Might try 10% as I’ve been told that could work better. So I’m curious to how much carbon you used compared to your product.