Cannabis in the Media: Portrayals of Smoking and Vaping

Cannabis consumption has been increasing rapidly over the last decade. More people are starting to recognize the beneficial medicinal purposes of cannabis. The rise of cannabis vaping coincides with this trend of the increasing use and acceptance of cannabis. Do you think with the rising popularity of cannabis vaping, it is only a matter of time before Hollywood stars are seen across the silver screen hitting a classy vape pen instead of smoking a joint?

The way the recreational use of these products portray in art and media contrasts with how the various people who use cannabis and vaping view these products. The media often showcases cannabis negatively, which diminishes the beneficial associations with this product. However, there are signs that this portrayal is starting to shift. Art and especially media are such significant and influential aspects of everyday life. It is not surprising, therefore, that these mediums convey narratives to monopolize public opinion. However, as information about the safety of smoking and vaping cannabis becomes more widespread, it will be increasingly difficult for the public to be misinformed.

2 Likes

I think so. Not exactly Hollywood, but over the last year or so I’ve watched at least a handful of Netflix shows in which one of the protagonists seemed to always be hitting a classy vape pen.

In my opinion, THC vape cartridges and a sleek pen-style battery is simply the best thing since sliced bread. Convenience, reliable and predictable dosing, cleaner “smoke”.

1 Like

I would say yes, but I think today at least half the time a viewer would interpret an unmarked vape device as containing nicotine.

A director might not want something so lame in their film.:wink:

Jk all reformed smokers

1 Like

Then they can film using a fat dab rig! Between the blow torch and the nail, all the haters will freak out.

“Mommy, daddy, is he smoking crack?!”

“No Timmy, that is just some top shelf shatter, Sundae Driver from the looks of it”

1 Like

Yes, I would like to see a classic character appear on the screen, a person using a stylish vape pen.

But the portrayal of vaping also shows the unique cultural niche that is being formed by cannabis vapers.